Best Creek OC1 ?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Martyn

Best Creek OC1 ?

Post by Martyn »

OK,

Here's my dilemma. I'm paddling a Prelude now and I have a hunch that if I fill every available space with foam, I will have a pretty reasonable creeker plus I'll only have to figure out one boat. I'm not sure if there is anything out there in Royalex that would be worth looking at - I like the Esquif designs but really like the durability of rotomolded boats.

The Prelude lets me do things I couldn't do in a Skeeter or Aftershock. I suspect there may be some creek things I could do in a Quake or Spanish Fly that wouldn't be possible in the Prelude. So what I'm asking is does anyone have experience with the Quake/Prelude or Spanish Fly/Prelude, and what are their recommendations?

Thanks,

Martyn
Judd

RE:Best Creek OC1 ?

Post by Judd »

I've done some creeking in a quake and here's my impressions of the boat. I haven't creeked with any other open boats.

The quake is a short and nimble boat by open boat standards, it's fast to accelerate and reach top speed. I prefer acceralation and turning speed compared to top speed for everything but big pushy water, so I really like the way it handles. BUT, I've found that once it has a decent amount of water in it, you lose the acceleration and turning speed that are it's strengths. Even with foam you are going to take some water, and remember that foam has weight too, so you are losing some performance. You can stop to empty your boat from time to time, but if you are paddling continuous rapids, you've got one extra thing to think about at all times (looking for a good eddy to empty your boat).

Another thing that I *really* don't like about open boat on creeks is that they roll very slowly compared to a decked boat. Creeks tend to be shallow and continuous, I want to spend the least amount of time possible upside down.

Personally I think you are best off getting a C1 for creeking. Especially when you are pushing your limits with bigger drops and more technical water. You get the advantage of always being dry, faster rolls and don't have to worry about wave blocking.

Judd
Paolo
Pain Boater

Post by Paolo »

I had a Spanish Fly and I have a Prelude now, even though I'm mainly a decked C boater I have done some decent creeking in open boat.

The Prelude vs the Spanish is:
Faster
Dryer
Turn better (has a lot of rocker)
a little bit less stable

So in my opinion the Prelude is a better creeker than the Spanish Fly

Hi Judd, of course decked boats is better than open boat for creeking, but also kayaks are better than C1... what this means? must we creeking in kayak 'cause it's easyer and safer than C1?...
C paddling is cool 'cause is not easy and OC paddling even more.
Last edited by Paolo on Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paolo Santoné

www.playboatingitalia.com
the italian playboating portal

Post by Guest »

Martyn!... how is that Prelude working for you? Given the fact that you already have a good boat I wouldn't monkey around too much.

I and others have creeked (the Green) in a Spanishfly (& Superfly) and it's darn good... lot's of rocker, etc. See prior posts.

With the OC you get a few things that are harder to come by in the decked boats.... all-day comfort... greater volume and speed... and the ease of being able to get out quickly to scout or escape. If you are worried about too much water consider that some water in the boat will carry speed and momentum, but make control little more difficult. You can always add those slick bilge pumps that you Canadian's are using.

Keep an eye out for Esquif in the future... there is rumors of a new non-ABS boat in the works... also Robson might be working on a little project as well..... hmmmmmmmmm?

Cheers!,
Craig

Get a bilge pump

Post by Guest »

Martyn, have you considered fitting your Prelude with an electric bilge pump?It won't keep your boat dryer but it will get rid of the water quick without you having to get out to bail out the water, which is not always easy on a creek.
I just fitted my Prelude 2 weeks ago with one and it is the best modification I have done to it so far.
The pump empties the boat after a roll in about 2 minutes (no addotional foam in there yet) and a battery charge lasts me a full weekend on the Ottawa, ncluding lots of play time.
Cost was about Can$ 250, including 2 batteries and a charger.

Martin
Paolo
Pain Boater

PUMP

Post by Paolo »

Jeeee I can't believe it!! :o
Paolo Santoné

www.playboatingitalia.com
the italian playboating portal
wayne

Post by wayne »

Does anyone have a photo of these pumps? what they look like or anything? They sound like a good idear for river running OC1's.
Thanks Wayne
mb

Pump details

Post by mb »

I don't have pictures of my pump setup, but here is a describtion:

The pump is an Attwood Sahara S500 (www.attwoodmarine.com) electric bilge pump for a boat with a rated flow of 500 US gallons per hour (~1800 liters per hour). It has a built in float switch , so it will switch on as soon as you have about 2 inches of water in your boat. It switches off when the water level drops below about 1 inch. This pump costs Can$ 60 at canadian tire.The pump is attached to my boat with double sided sticky tape.

The battery is a 12 V rechargeable power tool battery. Make sure your battery is 12 V, more and you run the risk of burning out your pump motor, less and you flow will be really low. This cost me Can $80 for a drill with 2 batteries and a charger.
Thew battery sits in a waterproof box similar to a pelican case (cost can$30). Foamed it out to have a snug fit for the battery drilled a hole for the connector wires and sealed the hole off with tons of silicone. the battery box is attached to the front off the saddle with velcro, so that I can easily remove it to switch batteries

I had a hard time finding a waterproof master switch (allows me tpo run the pump either on automatic mode or to switch it completely off), so I built my own:
Bought an on-off toggle switch and a matching rubber dust cap, installed the dust cap and soldered on the wires of the connector, then put it in a little plastic box and filled the whole thing with epoxy. Cost me about Can$ 10 and works really well so far.

All the components ( pump, battery, master switch) are easily removeable. I used waterproof 2 pole connectors for trailer hitchesto connect everything. All the solder points were first sealed with urethane sealer and shrink tube on top of it. Works well so far.
I'll try to take some digital pics of my setup tomorrow at work, so if you are interested or want more info, send me an e-mail at mbreu@idirect.com

Martin
creek1r
Pain Boater

Bilge Pump

Post by creek1r »

I had a Atwood 1200gph @ 2.9ah pump in my Skeeter for 3 1/2 years. Pump was manual switch and battery was 12V gel 3.1ah from Radio Shack. Wired in marine toggle. Mounted pump behind saddle - airbag held it in. Cut slot in bottom rear of saddle to hold battery. Weight was under 3lbs total. Paddled as much as days on a charge. Pump was $30us / battery was $20us. Auto switch not good because if boat is bottom up then pump runs dry.
Ocoee Boater
Pain Boater

I like me boat!!!

Post by Ocoee Boater »

Personally I've tried a phantom, rival, and mohawk along with some other boats but i bought an ocoee and its amazinggggg

Get an Ocoeeeeeeee :D
You can pick your friends
You can pick your nose
But you cant pick your friend's nose!