Anyone paddling a CFS?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Anyone paddling a CFS?

Post by CosmikDebris »

Anyone have any input on a CFS? Thanks,
Will
-Watch out where the huskies go, and do not eat that yellow snow.
creek1r
Pain Boater

CFS

Post by creek1r »

Is a boat designed for shallow, steep creeks only. I have a k-1 friend who just sold his because it was too single purpose. There seem to be others for sale also maybe for the same reason? I know CfS doesnt track and is really slow. As a C1 there are better boats available.
Timzjatl
C Guru

Post by Timzjatl »

I had a buddy with one and he hated it (k1). Said it didn't track well at all, and was slow. He switched to a Micro 240 and is much happier. I am really happy with my H2 245 as a c1, although if I was much bigger (i am 150lbs) I might prefer the 255.
Good luck, you may be able to get a H2 Pretty cheap these days, since lots of H2 faithful are switching to the H3....
Tim

creeking in c-1

Post by Guest »

sorry about this but
is it not really sketchy to paddle steep creeks in C-1??
Also, what about lack of speed??
Aldenb

c1s

Post by Aldenb »

hey no reason to be sorry. hades, lots of people think running steep creeks is sketchy for any craft! creeking in c-1 makes you step up to the plate a little more, but that's part of the fun. you learn how to offside boof, how to brace offside with no paddle against pillows, how to use the water instead of more strokes.

when you watch a c-1er follow a kayak (especially on a complicated creek) it reminds me of this slalom racing drill where you try to take one fewer stroke every run, that way you find the necessary ones.

hey will, i've got a micro 240 myself, im loving it. it's a little narrow though, my next boat will be wider. one boat ive heard is a great c-1 is the necky blunt. also i imagine those hucks would be sick too.
later
Alden
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

escape

Post by sbroam »

One advantage to C-boats, especially OC-1 is the reduced risk of entrapment - you don't have your entire leg up under a deck. I know one guy who until a couple of years ago ran *everything* (seen "Southern Fried Creekin'"?) in an open boat, only switching to C-1 because he got tired of lugging the OC-1 around...
James
C Guru

Post by James »

Steep creeking in C1, hmmm. I just paddled the bottom moose again on Sunday, which is drop and pool. Hit most of the lines but did a fair number with some rolls and one backwards. I think it is all about pushing your skills on hard runs. A solid C boater should not have too many issues with speed, if we use the river well we can keep up with the kayakers.

It is definitely not for everyone, but I love to creek (part of it for me is about commiting to a rapid and overcoming fear...). Being higher up in the boat with less primary stability (on the offside!) definitely makes it challenging. Some moves and seriously extreme creeking are probably not a wise choice.
James
C Guru

Post by James »

Oh, and the CFS: I personally wouldn`t chose to paddle one, based on how it appears to perform as a kayak (a friend creeks in one). It is huge volume, little edge, lots of rocker so it won`t track at all, basically a big banana shaped log to get down the river. I`m in a wavesport Y that has a few of those characteristics already, and want to try the H3, from what I hear from folks on this board it paddles a little more like a playboat, with predictable edges, would expect it to hold a line (a ferry, cutting across the grain to set up for a drop) much better than the CFS. I haven`t paddled the boat, but that is my 2 cents worth. Same view for the perception phat.
marshwater
Pain Boater

Post by marshwater »

creekin in c-1 is real good as long as you have water. the two cases when c-1 creekin can be a problem: creeks that are so low volume you can't even place a stroke (they also hurt your knees, bounce, bounce); and runs you don't know where the drops are very close together (lacking the ability to back-paddle). typically first descents are executed with more presision in a k-1. personally the hardest creek i have ever ran is in a c-1 and i will continue to run steep hard creeks as long as there is ample water.
speed has never been a concern of mine especially here in the southeast. i will give up speed for stability anyday. as for the cfs. thumbs down. the boat makes a horrible k-1 and c-1. look into something with a flater hull and a little more edge.
ralst one with the bigbossman!
Kevin
C Guru

Post by Kevin »

I have heard good things about the LL Huck, and that's what i plan on getting for my c1 creeker.
Drop Waterfalls, Not Bombs
Aldenb

oc1s

Post by Aldenb »

was that Jim Little in southern Fried Creekin? he was definitely in Playin in the Backyard, and he looked really badass in that short little dagger oc-1. anyone know of boat that was that he used to paddle?

i just raced oc-1 open boat for the first time last weekend. thought i'd waltz right in and win. instead finished dead last! (Bob P kicked my butt, along with everyone else!)

dam 10 second penalties . . .
Alden
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Dale Johnson

Post by sbroam »

I haven't seen Southern Fried Creekin' in a while, but I remember there being a couple of OC-1ers in there, among them was Dale Johnson (or maybe it was in later Gentry videos?) and that is who I was referring to. He would have been in a Mohawk boat - there was a shot of him running Gorilla in their ads for a long time. Can't remember what year it was, but once he was OC-1 rodeo champ, too. He even gets a mention in "Thrill of the Paddle".
C1Deli
C Boater

H3 would be good

Post by C1Deli »

I have an h3:255 that I have been using as a kayak (cough, cough) for those rivers where I wouldn't dare go C1.

However, it is so mega stable and confidence giving that I am now in the process of converting it to C1 -- kayaking puts a strain on my back anyway ...

It has great carving edges but the gills at the back mean they don't catch. Quite hare to roll as a kayak (the 255 anyway) but should be easier as C1.

Feels like a playboat but amazing stability and excellent speed -- far faster than my Grind although it is the same length. MAssive planing surface.

I've never done any really hard water though so I can't say about that -- but that is what is was designed for ...

/edwin
______
More nonsense like this at
http://www.biothinking.com/paddle/