Has anyone paddled a esquif Nitro?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

by Brandon Brandon

What's it like? I've almost been paddling for 3 years and I want to get an oc-1. (that's why I'm selling my boats)

Posted on Oct 2, 2002, 3:13 PM

the Nitro
by Warren

I had a chance to paddle a Nitro on the L. Yough one time (at least I think it was the Nitro; the Nitro is slightly bigger than the Detonator, right?).
I found it felt very heavy and slow from rail to rail compared to my Ocoee. HOwever while being a bit slower to start, it carried momentum very well and held its line better than my boat. Also, I found it to be very dry (the owner, who outweighed me by 50-70 pounds, surfed the same waves and stayed dryer than I could in my boat).
The plastic might be nice for durability, but I'm not sure I would want to use it on creeky stuff where this matters most. It just seemed a little too slow to react.
Having said all this, I've really only paddled my Ocoee and c-1s, so I can't compare it to the less edgy ocs out there. If you're coming from c-1ing, the edges on an Ocoee or comparable OC shouldn't be a problem, and seem to really perform.
Good luck with your choice.

-Warren

Posted on Oct 2, 2002, 6:06 PM

Nitro is a very good open boat.
by Mangobait

I paddle both the Nitro and Ocoee as open boats and the Nitro is not as lively as the Ocoee, but then neither is it as squirrelly or wet. It is very stable and has very good secondary stability in its release chines (not quite release chines a là kayaks but then this is Royalex). It also tracks very nicely when you put it up on edge.

If you have come from C1ing I'd suggest perhaps the little brother Detonator at 10' (Nitro is 11'6 and Blast is 13'). A friend has that and is VERY pleased with it.

As to the weight, yes it is heavier but that's because they are using a heavier grade of Royalex. If you do creeking you will appreciate it. If you don't you won't.

I'd say Esquif is making the open-boat of the moment.

Posted on Oct 2, 2002, 6:40 PM

Nitro opinion from intermediate paddler - a bit long
by Randy Randy

I had the chance to demo the Nitro and the Detonator on a Class II stretch a few months ago. My backround is in a Rival and Cascade. The Nitro felt like a big boat to me. About like my Rival for tracking. The big difference was in secondary stability. I came away wondering if I could tip it over, even on purpose. It hardens up an incredible amount before the gunnel goes underwater. If you want a bigger boat, that's the Nitro. If your backround is in smaller boats, however, I recommend that you look at the Detonator before you buy a Nitro.

The Detonator was the boat the I liked. It made my Rival seem like an tired old pick-up - the Detonator is very manuverable. It has excellent secondary stability, but is nimble due to its small size. As an intermediate paddler, I was impressed with how accessible the performance aspects of the Detonator's design are. I was carving into and out of eddies right out of the gate. My confidence level was very high almost immediately. I came away WANTING a Detonator as my next open boat.

I paddled an Ocoee for twenty minutes the same day - my only experience in the Ocoee. It seemed big after the Detonator. The harder chines were noticeable, but the Ocoee has plenty of secondary stability as well. For my skill level, I felt that the performance aspects of the Ocoee might be lost on me.

Enjoy,

Randy

Posted on Oct 2, 2002, 7:49 PM

Yup, I liked it so much I became their East Coast Rep!
by David Nickerson David Nickerson

I got to demo one on the Jacques Cartier. I liked it so much that I got out of every other OC-1 I owned (Millbrook Fat Boy; Savage Skeeter; Dagger Caper, Cascade (c1), Ocoee; Mohawk Probes, XLs; Whitesell Descender, and Mad River Outrage X.)

I since signed on as the east coast rep for Esuif.

I'm 6'2, 200+ pounds. I've found that it runs big water beautifully, LOVES waterfalls, and overall has stepped up my comfort level from class III to class V water. Speed-wise, it really is affected by the speed of the water you are on (it'll feel slower in slow water...)

I'll be at the Deerfield Dryway 10/12-10/13, then the Black on 10/18, MooseFest on 10/19 and 10/20.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like to demo one of our boats.

If you know of a dealer in your area that should be carrying our canoes, please let me know who to call.
Thanks in advance,

David Nickerson
EsquifUSA@aol.com
www.Esquif.com

Posted on Oct 2, 2002, 8:58 PM

gotta agree
by James

I paddle nearly exclusively C1 these days, but coming from open boats I have been really impressed by the Esquif boats I have seen and paddled. Check out their tandem tripping boats as well, nice designs again. Anyone seriously into open boats should be super happy this company exists, they are definitely leading the pack these days in terms of design in my opinion.

Posted on Oct 3, 2002, 10:01 AM

Re:Yup, I liked it so much I became their East Coast Rep!
by brandon brandon

I'd like to demo both boats. I also have some questions: How much do the boats cost? do you sell factory seconds? Used?

I live in Bangor, Maine

Posted on Oct 3, 2002, 12:47 PM

Demo and Esquif Canoe
by David Nickerson David Nickerson

I'll be at the Deerfield Dryway next weekend 10/12-10/13, then at MooseFest 10/18-10/20. I'll be vacationing for a week in Wells, ME from 10/25 until 11/1 or so, but the Atlantic isn't the best place to demo.

Let me know if you can make it down.

Talk soon,
David
EsquifUSA@aol.com

Posted on Oct 3, 2002, 7:03 PM

Great big water canoe
by LJE

Nitros are very popular in Quebec- very good and accessible all-around canoe, enough space for tripping, loves big water, surfing, etc. If you find it big try the Detonator. I find that the double chines force you to improve your lean- this type of hull vs. and Ocoee is a matter of personal preference. I have a Blast and going back to larger 'traditional' tandems is very hard...

Posted on Oct 4, 2002, 8:35 AM

Blast?
by Scott B.

I'm curious about the Esquif boats, I hope to demo one or more at the NOC soon. Has anyone an informed opinion about the Blast (the tandem one, right ?) as a tandem/triple boat? I'm about 220# and have two youngsters - 5 (@~60#) and almost 3 (@~35#), I'd like to fit the three of us in a whitewater boat, but I'd like something with a little more performance and responsiveness than say, a Mohawk Probe 14.

Is there much room in there? How is it going to handle if two of the passengers are essentially getting a free ride? Just curious...

Scott

Posted on Oct 4, 2002, 10:12 AM

Re: Blast?
by LJE

Should be OK- I've paddled it solo without moving the seat to the center, and while the fact you're at the back can be limiting, the boat turns so well that it's not a big problem (you can of course outfit to change the seat position to wherever you like). I've tried it successfully with one of my kids- the problem with 2 is that there's not much space for them to sit outside of the flotation and foam saddle. Weight is no problem- we load it up under the flotation when on weekend trips- not bad for a 13 footer...

Posted on Oct 4, 2002, 12:08 PM
Keep the C!
Adam