Any idea how to repair a crack in an ABS OC-1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

by Garrett Garrett

I had a friend of mine step into my Mohawk Scamp OC and when he did, the abs plastic cracked... the crack is only on the inside, not outside, and I was wondering what is a good way to repair the damage. Thanks

Posted on Sep 29, 2002, 10:02 AM

Have you consider looking at the manufacturer's website?
by knowitall

Maybe they will have some kind of clue about consumer repair of their products. Otherwise, take it to a professional canoe repair shop in your area. A local club can tell you where to go.

http://www.mohawkcanoes.com/careandrepair.htm

Posted on Sep 29, 2002, 8:06 PM

Repairing ABS
by Daniel Holzman Daniel Holzman

ABS is one of the easiest plastics to repair. Unlike polyethylene, it bonds to just about any reasonable product, including epoxy resin, epoxy putty, and vinylester (not as good as epoxy). I have a fourteen year old Dagger Encore (ABS plastic whitewater open boat, so I have had lots of practice repairing cracks, holes etc.

The best way to repair cracks I have found is to sand them smooth using 60 grit paper, then cover them with fiberglass cloth. Clean the surface first with alcohol or acetone. I recommend Dynel cloth, which is incredibly tough. You can get Dynel cloth (and just about any other boat repair item) from John Sweet in Mustoe, VA (he has a web site, check it out). If you don't like Dynel because of its appearance, you can use S glass, Kevlar, or carbon cloth. I don't recommend E glass (that is the stuff you get at the marine supply place) because it is nowhere near as tough as Dynel, although E glass does dry clear.

If the crack extends through the hull, you need to patch both sides. If you have a hole, you can fill the hole with epoxy putty before you cover the hole with glass. For resin, I use West Systems, which is expensive but works really well. I especially like the fact that you can get pumps for the resin and hardener which pump out the exact ratio you need, which reduces the chances of a poor set. I use the 105 and 205 resin and hardener, but they have a fast set product if you are in a big hurry or are doing the job in cold weather in an unheated garage, for example.

Posted on Sep 30, 2002, 9:38 AM
Keep the C!
Adam