Super EZ as a C1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Super EZ as a C1

Post by Sir Adam »

Super EZ as a C1
by summer
Does the Super EZ make a good C1 for a paddler in the weight range of 200 to 210 lbs?
Posted on Jun 9, 2002, 3:06 PM

ya
by Kev
Kalin paddles a Super EZ he loves it from what i've heard. Im sure he will comment.

Posted on Jun 9, 2002, 6:02 PM

Depends...
by Kalin
Hey Summer!

Whaddaya wanna do?

I'm 235 lbs and I LOVE mine! It is hilarious fun. I can throw it down in the flats, eddylines..and just figuring out cartwheeling in holes. It spins nicely on waves....real loose....it's pretty quick for it's length. (Quit laughing DaveM! Just 'cuz Zimmerman beat me on the NB after giving me a head start...that doesn't count! ) It's quite stable 'cuz it's 27" wide.... the reduced length, however, means NO glide...so you're always working to get somewhere on the River. Paddling constantly to keep it going and keep it straight! ( It's a little weak in the tracking department... <grin> ) But you get used to those things and actually start to enjoy those characteristics...and use them to your advantage. I paddled a friend's Dager Rival OC1 a little while ago and was completely frustrated by the boats inability to turn! So I guess it's all relative, ya know?

At your weight it might be a little bit harder to throw down...it IS 60 gallons...perhaps a Big EZ instead? Are you looking for park and play? with some river running? If so, then a Big EZ would be better...I think.... As an all-round boat, though, a Super EZ would be a very comfortable ride. And a pretty solid river runner. Just remember that you need to paddle it like a short boat. Don't be discouraged by what it does differently.

Something else to consider would be a Wave Sport Score. Much faster and pretty slicy, too....

If you search the archives I put up a post awhile back that had a pretty comprehensive review of the Super EZ.

Hope that helps!

Kalin of the Great White North

Posted on Jun 10, 2002, 2:40 PM

Score...
by Scott B.
I've been paddling a Score for about two months now and like it a lot - however, at 225# it is not the flatwater play machine that a smaller boat would be. Don't get me wrong, I can throw it around, but it takes a little more effort and technique. You notice this particularly with the bow, the stern is eminently squirtable. This does not bother me a bit - this is what I was looking for! My Ultra-Clean was a bit too low volume up front and it made river running a bit dicier. The Score is much faster, staying on top during hard forward strokes, and resurfaces well when taking drops or punching holes.

Compared to another conversion - it's a little slower than my Whiplash, but more stable.

Scott

Posted on Jun 11, 2002, 7:34 PM

Super CZ
by Bill W.
I'm 190 and like mine. I chose it over a Big Ez because the hull speed is better and I didn't care about flatwater stuff. Its no speed demon by any means although it gets across a river pretty fast. Super friendly, stable and easy to roll. The tracking takes a little getting used to, but it responds instantly to correction strokes. Offside strokes are worry free. It fits my local conditions perfectly.

It has a huge cockpit. Lots of space to work with, excellent leg and foot room, making for a very comfy boat. Size 12 boots clear the seat well when wet exitting. There is enough space and stability for taller saddles, if you need. The downside is it takes a custom skirt that currently fits no other boat.

Posted on Jun 10, 2002, 6:09 PM

super EZ
by Mike W.
I'm 185 & recently converted a Big EZ. I'm having a blast in it. I posted a review a few pages back. The things that I do not like are the extemely slow hull speed (I had to figure out a different way to get on the local surf wave with this boat) & it's tough to tow those 'yakers when they swim. It's a little small for helping folks turn tandem canoes back over too.

I sink it pretty good, so at your weight you're probably right on in the super. There is a 'yaker who paddles here some in a super. He gets some long
rides.

Mike W.
Posted on Jun 11, 2002, 7:20 PM
Keep the C!
Adam