A couple more questions.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

A couple more questions.

Post by Sir Adam »

A couple more questions.
by Brian Jones
Thanks for all your input on outfitting the Z. Now....about this oilcanning.Did I mess up by glueing the saddle directly to the hull? Can I remove the saddle later if oilcanning gets progressively worse.This is the deal,I had a Harmony removable saddle (the plastic insert)I did'nt like it becuase I did'nt have a bulkhead and I felt like I was bouncing around in the boat. It looked simpler to me to take it out, cut my 3- position saddle in half from my tandem Dagger Caption(which is now outfitted solo)and whittle me a saddle out of it.I think I did a good job.It feels a lot more comfy,and I have foot braces.I think I'll feel more a part of the boat with this outfitting.I hope I didd'nt screw up.Input please!
Brian
Posted on Jun 8, 2002, 4:55 AM

Oil Canning
by Sir Adam
Greetings...

A few pages back you'll find a pretty comprehensive discussion on oilcanning-here are my thoughts, though it is not my forte (I prefer glass...it's just better:) ). In general, todays Kayak (typing the word makes me shudder!) designs incorporate the seat for structure-when you remove it has to be replaced with SOMETHING, be it TEAM etc outfitting (plastic plate) or a bolted-in glass piece. Foam won't due-not enough rigidity. If what you've installed helps support the hull/ deck structurally, you're in good shape. Otherwise, you may have to remove it (and that IS possible, although normally then you have to grind / sand down the adhesive, etc... to have a ready surface to glue to again....

C-ya!
Sir Adam
Posted on Jun 12, 2002, 10:17 AM
Keep the C!
Adam