C2 boat trim question…

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

C2 boat trim question…

Post by Sir Adam »

C2 boat trim question…
by PAC
I’m going to be picking up a C2 next week and I’m looking for suggestions on how to trim it out. I’m not sure as to the details as to the boats history / design. I was in it once a couple years ago and I remember it to be a slalom (glass) race boat.
The plan is to use the boat with my 7-year son who weights 55 lbs, while I’m at 175 lbs (+/-). We’re going to be paddling class A to I (~ 1.5 mile to start), with a move to II and gates once he gets comfortable (and I learn what the heck I’m doing).
I’m making an assumption here that I’m going to be paddling from the stern, and he will be up front, in the bow position (let me know if you experts agree).
I’m thinking I have to add weight to his end. But I want to make it adjustable / removable (so we can still use the boat as he grows and if others want to try the C2).
The questions are:
1.) What should I use as weight - something that doesn’t stress the glass (sand in a float bag, river rocks in a potato sack, manhole cover, etc.);
2.) Where to place it (I’m not a nautical engineer but I’m figuring more weight will be required if place behind him than in the front of him);
3.) How will placement / weight impact performance (will location in the bow, in front of him reduce the performance, verses placing it toward the center, should I spread the weight across the width of the beam or the length of the boat?);
4.) What’s the best way to attached this to the haul (Velcro, Tie down, glass out a “weight well“, etc.); and
5.) Am I out of tree here doing this?
Any other thoughts, issues, etc. on this matter would also be appreciated. Thanks for any and all input in advance.
CU
Paul C.

Posted on Jun 7, 2002, 6:04 AM

Add weight - please don't!
by Bob P
The problem with adding weight (and it probably should go at or in front of the bow paddler) is that it's going to make your poor son push a lot of extra mass. Instead, I would try very hard to shift both paddlers forward as much as possible. You can tolerate a fair amount of stern-bias anyway, if Klaus Renner and son(s) is any indication. Klaus and partner are about the same weight proportion as you (maybe worse), and they get along very well on slalom courses. Klaus also paddles the same boat with his wife, who admittedly is fairly petite.
Posted on Jun 7, 2002, 3:59 PM

My limited knowledge about c2 is to...
by KNeal
...put the stronger paddler up front! That way, you can supply the power needed to get the boat going forward and help where needed with steering and have your 7 year-old son steer from the back = After all, who would you want up front to spot all the rocks, strainers 14 foot waterfall drops and other hazardly placed obstructions?

Just my $0.02 worth
KNeal
Posted on Jun 7, 2002, 9:03 PM

C-2 weight distribution
by DaveM
I agree w/ Bob that 1st try and shift the seats as far forward as possible and then go for a little weight, but not much.

As for Neals comment about you being in the bow, I would probably not go that route. I will be facing your same situation in a couple of years and I plan on paddling the stern, because it's easier to control the whole boat from the stern.

Also, if the boat is bow high, it will be easier to whip the bow around from the stern.

Glad to hear your introducing the next generation to C-boating...but I got some bad news for you....

As Neal said it's good to have the stronger paddler in the bow.....well in a couple of years your new bowman will be the strongest paddler in the boat.

Have fun and let us know what type of C-2 you bought so we can make some more Monday morning q-back comments on how to outfit it....DM
Posted on Jun 10, 2002, 7:54 AM

Get that weight forward
by Scott B.
It should help with enders!

Info here : http://www.americanwhitewater.org/photos/?photoid=762
Posted on Jun 10, 2002, 2:02 P

Thanks all, I'll keep you posted as things work out...
by PAC
I'll also get picks out once I get things settled.
Posted on Jun 11, 2002, 9:25 AM
Keep the C!
Adam