C1 G-force/ID

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

C1 G-force/ID

Post by Sir Adam »

C1 G-force/ID
by Kev
Hey, I might be able to get a awesome deal on a Dagger Boat....I'm about 150lbs. I use C1 for mostly park and play. (open boat for running)

Any Comments on which would be a better boat as a C1?

G-force 6.1
or
Id 6.9

Posted on Jun 3, 2002, 1:52 PM

G-force 6.1 or Id 6.9?
by Jonathan
both boats look good for a c-1 conversion. I have not paddled them my self, but my brother who kayaks has. His first impression of the Id was the primary stability, it had none! and this was in a kayak not c1. However the boat was extremely slicey and had nice smooth cartwheels. The G-force to him was a lot more stable but not as clean end to end when cartwheeling. What are you doing while parkand playing, airel moves? If this is where your at or where you want to go I would suggest the G-force. The G-force also has the extra volume ends for if you ever want to take it down a couple rivers. hope this helps.

Jonathan
Posted on Jun 4, 2002, 6:50 AM

Congratulations!!
You Found the Top Sites for....

Speed of boats?
by Kev
The ID is unstable? really? Cause i thought it was supposed to be softer than the ego. Im thinking the G-force might be too slow and squirrly for a single blader....i dunnno..it a tough choice.

And im Kevin for ottawa

Posted on Jun 4, 2002, 12:47 PM

I don't think the id is particularly unstable, I paddled one
by sean
as a kayak and seemed ok, no different than most in intial stability. I asked this question on boatertalk and a guy mentioned he had run the ottawa at flood stage in his id and liked it. You may try posting on Boatertalk as well.
Posted on Jun 4, 2002, 1:01 PM

Demo them.
by Bill W.
If you can, try them out on flatwater. If you drop the backband, there is enough room to kneel over the kayak seat. Throw your skirt on and get a feel for the boats. I tried the 6.3 and 7.0 this way.
I found the g-force was very slow and pearled too easily. You can sink the bow and stern sitting still and just leaning. Pretty stable and friendly otherwise.
The ID's seemed much better. Easy to sink the ends if you want, felt as stable and friendly as the G-force, just as loose, and much better hull speed. The bow wanted to stay on the surface when paddling hard.
I believe Boatwerks is open at the Ottawa now, just grab each boat for a couple of minutes and see what works for you. Then again, a used Delerious might be a better boat and a better deal.
Posted on Jun 4, 2002, 8:10 PM

thanks...6.8, 6.9
by Kev
hmmm... i never thought about trying to paddle them like that...i might just give that a whirl..Im leaning towards the ID for sure. Cause i can't stand super slow boats. The other thing is 6.8 or 6.9? I'm at the very top of the weight catergory for the 6.8 at 150lbs. If i where to paddle it would i bog it down?
Posted on Jun 5, 2002, 10:24 AM

not sure
by Bill W.
I think the weight ranges are based on total paddler weight. If you're going to carry some water, food, camera,etc you will likely be over the weight range anyhow for the small boat. Unless flatwater tricks are really important, its probably better to err on the big side.
Dagger's customer support is excellent. Email them, tell them your stats and what you want to do with the boat, and they will get back to you in a couple days. Boatwerks is pretty good too.
If you decide to buy an ID, make sure the cockpit doesn't leak. A yakker I paddle with demo'ed one of the smaller ones and had water coming in around his hips. Might have been a flaw since it was a demo boat, or it could be something wrong with the shape of the rim.
Posted on Jun 5, 2002, 7:07 PM

Go bigger
by Rob
The ID's are slicy enough that a bigger one is still VERY easy to throw around, but more volume is going to give you more speed and better handling on waves and holes.

I just got my ID 7.0 yesterday and absolutly love it! It is narrower, so is a little less stable than some other boats, but the increase in speed is well worth it. I'm particularly happy about how easy it is to remove the seat, etc. I'm going to turn it into a convertable K1 to C1 (as in that Playak article) and I think in the end, it'll take about 5 minutes to switch back and forth. Sweet!

Rob
Posted on Jun 6, 2002, 7:11 AM

Um....
by Sir Adam
Why would you want to switch it (easily) back to a K1:)?

C-ya!
Sir Adam
Posted on Jun 6, 2002, 8:43 AM
Keep the C!
Adam