Outfitting question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Outfitting question

Post by Sir Adam »

Outfitting question
by Brian Jones
What do you use to secure thigh straps(mohawk thigh retainer)and what glue do you use for foam. I'm just starting out C-1 in a WS Z and I feel like the outfitting is entirely too loose.Any tricks or comments to help remedy this would be great.
Brian
Posted on May 26, 2002, 4:05 AM

glue
by Gabe
Hey Brian,

I use "Goop" -- this heavy glue that comes in toothpaste-like tubes at my local hardware store. It's the perfect stuff.

If not Goop, I use the old Weldwood Contact Cement (make sure to use the flammable kind; the unflammable kind works not). Use a thin layer, and give it time to cure.
Posted on May 26, 2002, 4:49 AM

Answers...
by Sir Adam
Greetings...

For attaching thigh straps-if it's plastic boat I'd personally drill through the hull and bolt it (use rubber "washers" against the boat, then normal metal washers, then the bolt head / nut (like a big sandwich)). If it's glass use resin or epoxy to glass in a strap you can attach things to (or bolt and seal as above).

For foam use at least 2 thin coats of the flammable contact cement "Gabe" mentioned on each piece (in a well ventilated area, like outside), let "dry" between the two coats and after, then stick them together (I usually wait overnight, but it's a personal thing).

C-ya IN the Rivah!
Sir Adam
Posted on May 28, 2002, 6:21 AM

aluminium
by scoot
Brian dude, these guys is crazy. With a plastic boat you don't want to be bolting through the hull or gluing to it. don't matter which boat, a plastic hull doesn't have the rigidity for this, it will flex and cause massive oil canning.

the best solution is to have an aluminium bar running from bow to stern pillar & under the seat and attach straps from the bolt holes already at the sides of the cockpit to the bar, easy and bomber.
if the boat don't have pillars get some minicell and make some.
Posted on May 28, 2002, 6:57 AM

I agree...and disagree:)
by Sir Adam
For attaching straps to the bottom of the boat a separate piece of material is necessary (in TEAM etc conversions you can simply have cut-outs for straps in the floor plate...and you're entire seat is on the floor plate (which also reduces oil canning...)), or aluminum, whatever can be firmly attached to the boat and you are comfortable with handling the amount of force you'll put on it. I did not intend for the message to read drilling through the bottom of the boat:)-but I certainly would drill through the side / top (most factory outfitting is done this way, and it seems to work well, although bigger washers (spread out the force) and a bit of silicon / rubber never hurts....

Good luck!
Sir Adam
P.S. Along with the Mave(n) images I've got quite a few of different styles of outfitting to add to the Cboats.net outfitting page...again, hopefully it'll be added by the end of the week....
Posted on May 28, 2002, 8:07 AM

Mohawk Retainer
by Bryant
For the Mohawk retainer to be effective the saddle must have the same layout as the Mohawk saddle. I dont think the retainer will work well as a lap belt. The ends of the retainer should be secured low and back on the sides of the boat to provide the correct angle of pull to lock the retainer to the saddle. With a plastic boat, bolting thru the sides is about the only attachment that will hold. The retainer can be improved by glueing "cups", which will fit over your thighs, to the retainer. This will give you an adjustable/releasable bulkhead type of retention and with toe blocks should do nicely.
Posted on May 28, 2002, 8:20 AM

Z
by Dave Stanley
I did a conversion last summer and love it. Bernie who posts here lays in a 48'x24' kevlar-glass which extends from the cockpit rim down the inside wall ,across the hull and back up the other side. I used the holes where the seat attaches for the Kayak to attach my straps. The inner pad adds minimal weight and you can place your attachment points right where you want with contact cement or resin. It will help to prevent oilcanning. I used rodeo straps from Northwater, check them out on their site. They have velcro straps which attach at the cockpit rim, run down over your thigh to a point at the base of your pedestal and then out laterally over your knee to the chine about halfway up the side. I would make your own pedestal out of minicell so that you can get it custom, cheap and I think better. I spent several days cutting and sitting in the boat in my yard to figure out where to glue, and place blocks under my instep. The boat is so comfortable I can easily paddle a couple hours without getting out. BTW, I did the Tourelli near Quebec City over the weekend, maybe 30 Cl 3-4 drops, we had low side of medium water. awesome river, the Tewksbury section of the J.C. was over 6 feet, about 4' over what I was looking for.
Dave
Posted on May 28, 2002, 6:11 PM
Keep the C!
Adam