FREE Millbrook Shacho (still available, needs work)

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

poetry_heckler
Pain Boater

FREE Millbrook Shacho (still available, needs work)

Post by poetry_heckler »

My friend Matthew Briere gave me his old Shacho and I had intended to repair it, even soliciting advice from Kaz on how to proceed. I have picked up another Millbrook (a Shriek) and decided to let this one go.

As you can see, it's the super lightweight layup, with carbon thwarts and inwales. All the thwarts have some fractures, three have come completely free. The bow is fairly crashed and the stern even moreso. I'll include the thwarts in case you want to patch them in, and I think the other deck is here somewhere.

The outfitting is good, and includes bag lacing and a pair of lightweight two-piece thigh straps. There's space in the front of the saddle for a pump, and a port hole in the bow for the discharge.

This would be a great project for someone who wants to practice their glass work and isn't afraid to paddle something a little ugly. I was looking forward to it and had considered (somehow) putting some ash gunwales on, and then this other boat came along.

Free for the taking. Come get it.

I'm in Newburgh, NY (mid-Hudson Valley) and Brooklyn.
Attachments
IMG_4862.jpg
IMG_4860.jpg
IMG_4858.jpg
Last edited by poetry_heckler on Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ASPIRIN SANDWICH
poetry_heckler
Pain Boater

Re: FREE Millbrook Shacho (needs work)

Post by poetry_heckler »

From John Kaz:

"The heavily damaged areas I’d repair from the inside first to create some structure when you patch the exterior. You can use fiberglass for all repairs. It’s cheaper than Kevlar. And, you can sand fiberglass. While sanding glass, always wear a respirator with dust filters on it. I think I’d do 3 layers on the inside and 3 on the outside.

Tackle the repair job one spot at a time. Pick the smallest spot first."
Attachments
IMG_4861.jpg
IMG_4859.jpg
IMG_4857.jpg
ASPIRIN SANDWICH
tdossantos83

Re: FREE Millbrook Shacho (needs work)

Post by tdossantos83 »

PM sent. I’m in Brooklyn and would love to take on this project. Could pick it up anytime.
poetry_heckler
Pain Boater

Re: FREE Millbrook Shacho (still available, needs work)

Post by poetry_heckler »

I should've mentioned that Kaz does not want to fix this boat. He is busy making retirement plans. Good on him.

The boat is still available.

Maybe $200 in supplies from sweetcomposites.com gets this thing on the water and saves it from the landfill.

Did I mention that it's free?
ASPIRIN SANDWICH
poetry_heckler
Pain Boater

Post by poetry_heckler »

Okay, nevermind.
ASPIRIN SANDWICH
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Matt,
Post this free boat on Facebook pages "New England Slalom Series" and "Whitewater Open Canoe Slalom".
JKaz......