boats for sale: Batmax C-1, Torrent C-2

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

watermite

boats for sale: Batmax C-1, Torrent C-2

Post by watermite »

Greetings! I have two boats for sale, in good condition. Both were made by John Sweet (Nittany Valley Boats), kevlar / s-glass layup in vinyl ester resin. In both cases, the hull is intact and only has typical abrasion. The deck of the Torrent C-2 has a deep scratch and there is impact damage on one seamline (both should be obvious in the picture), they are both prepped for patching although could also be covered by duct tape - neither are through all layers of cloth. The Batmax C-2 had deck damage and again impact damage on one seamline, these have been patched with layers of e-glass & nylon in epoxy resin. Both are historical designs, built in 1983, and have been stored in a garage since 1986 (I'm the original owner).
The Torrent C-2 was designed for mixed team competition, although we used it for a light men's team (combined weight of paddlers 310 lb - about the maximum for this boat). Optimum combined weight is 270 to 310 lbs, above that it becomes very tippy. Its a gas as a playboat, or for someone starting out in slalom - and is especially well suited for teaching a son or daughter how to paddle C boats. The Batmax is also a lot of fun to paddle, especially for enders and pivot turns (I'm showing my age). It would also be a good boat for the beginner in slalom, especially a light paddler.
I need to sell these boats! I have no delusions of getting rich on the proceeds, I want them to go to a good home and not into the landfill. I am located in Ithaca NY, make me an offer on one or both boats! Please contact me if you need more information.
Attachments
Torrent C-2 deck view
Torrent C-2 deck view
Batmax C-1 hull view
Batmax C-1 hull view
01 hull view - smaller.jpg (222.84 KiB) Viewed 9150 times
Batmax C-1 deck view
Batmax C-1 deck view
00 deck view - smaller.jpg (213.52 KiB) Viewed 9150 times
wheresmyroll
Pain Boater

Re: boats for sale: Batmax C-1, Torrent C-2

Post by wheresmyroll »

Awesome c2...prob is I'm in WV
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

My brother-in-law lives in Trumansburg and teaches at Cornell. Crap! I wish I was in the market. He is coming down this weekend and both boats look really good for their age. Definitely good designs for training and tooling around on rivers.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
bobbills

Post by bobbills »

I'm in Niagara Falls area and am interested in either or both boats as an experiment. I am an OC boater for the most part these days, as I am not as small as I used to be.....I gave up my GyraMax when it just plain sat too low in the water.....ugh.....

I was thinking about these two boats and possibly modifying the cockpit as needed...I'm planning on being around 240 lbs this summer...will these boats handle that weight as fun boats? I'm not a big talented paddler, but want to try something smaller than my existing boats....I currently paddle solo in a 15' OCA, a MR Courier and an Eclipse, and do whitewater in an old school MR Synergy 14'.

A smaller boat sounds like fun again....

let me know what you think and we can talk $....thanks....bob
watermite

Post by watermite »

Dear Bob:
Greetings! Sorry, but I don't think either boat would be a good solution for you. If you found that a Gyramax sat too low in the water, then the Batmax would sit far lower still. I have an old Gyramax as well as the Batmax that is for sale, and the Gyramax has 2X to 3X as much volume. The Torrent was designed for a team with an absolute maximum combined weight of about 315 pounds, so if you are around 240 lb in weight, you'd have to either paddle it alone or with a bow paddler weighing a maximum of 75 pounds. I've paddled it solo down a racecourse, and I could handle it OK, but the bow was way up in the air - no surprise, it handled strangely. The boat is balanced for a 155 lb stern / 145 lb bow lightweight men's team, with extended cockpits so the boat can also be balanced with 155 lb stern / 125 lb bow mixed team, simply by putting a 2" thick ethafoam block behind each paddler to shift them forwards on the saddles. To balance it for a solo paddler, you'd have to move the stern seat up to around the middle of the boat and close off the remains of the current two hatches - it would be a lot of work.

Best wishes,
Bruce