Rare Whitesell Whirlwind in mint condition

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

canoeman61
Pain Boater

Rare Whitesell Whirlwind in mint condition

Post by canoeman61 »

Hi

I am not sure I want to part with this boat but am putting this up in case anyone is interested. The Whirlwind is a 12-foot whitewater canoe designed by David Sherrill and produced by Nolan Whitesell before he closed up shop. I have been told the Mad River Outrage was "inspired" closely by this boat. The rocker profile is similar, but the Whirlwind has some slight differences in the hull, including blunter ends. This one was purchased by a fellow who paddled it only a few times on class II water, decided it was not for him, and hung it in his basement for a couple of decades. I purchased it two months ago and paid a high price for it, in part because I wanted to assure I would have a long Royalex boat after my Outrage goes to the boat graveyard.

The boat has only minor scratches and is in excellent shape. Since it was kept indoors it does not appear to be the least bit brittle and the plastic flexes like new. It is red with aluminum gunnels and thwarts. The only departure from Whitesell "factory" outfitting is an improvement: It has a wide and comfy mini-cell saddle and bulkhead rather than the heavier plastic Perception saddle that came in Whitesell boats. The only repairs needed were to the airbags (yellow), which had two small slits. I have repaired them and they hold air perfectly. The front air bag is large and comes up to the bulkhead.

Since getting the boat I have paddled it twice, once on a class IV creek and once on a class III river. It performed beautifully on both, just as a remembered from the Whirlwinds I owned in the 1990s. It is fast, stable, dry and responsive. I also discovered that I have become more accustomed to a shorter boat since paddling a L'Edge, and therefore may want to take the cash I have invested in this boat and get another plastic boat under 10 feet long.

In order to sell this boat I would have to get what I paid for it: $850 (the previous owner was asking a grand). If anyone is interested let me know and I will post pictures. I would also consider a trade for an Octane 85. If not, no problem. I will keep this boat for running bigger water and drops!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Re: Rare Whitesell Whirlwind in mint condition

Post by 2opnboat1 »

My fav rx boat of all time.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Flip756
c

Post by Flip756 »

I tried emailing and send you a private message. I've been looking for a whirlwind for a while. I'd really like to see a few pictures of the boat. Also where are you located?
Daddy-O
Pain Boater

Post by Daddy-O »

I saw this boat the other day on nffb. Canoeman tells no lie. Word that came to mind when I saw it on the rack included, crème Puff, cherry, and unspoiled. Looks like she's been in a uv proof time capsule for twenty five years. Want a pristine piece of royalex ww history for half the price of a brand new boat? Here you go...
smac
c

Post by smac »

If it were cheaper I would get it to replace my Whirlwind, my #1 boat. It would be a
luxury to replace my usable but beat to hades boat at this stage. If I were just 20 years
younger...
canoeman61
Pain Boater

Post by canoeman61 »

Thanks for your replies, (and for your rave review, Daddy-O)…I will have some photos headed your way soon, Jacob.
canoeman61
Pain Boater

Post by canoeman61 »

Bringing this back to the top. Still available, paddled three times since I got it, mint condition, not budging on the price though. If you want it shout out.
canoeman61
Pain Boater

Post by canoeman61 »

IMG_2232.jpg
Here are a few photos
Attachments
IMG_2229.jpg
Whirlwind full copy.jpg
SlyCanoe

Post by SlyCanoe »

You got mail
Rook

Post by Rook »

Where are you located?
Ecwellman

Post by Ecwellman »

canoeman61 wrote:
IMG_2232.jpg
Here are a few photos
Is this still available? Price and location, please. Thank you.
canoeman61
Pain Boater

Post by canoeman61 »

Boat is sold. Thanks to everyone who replied.