SOLD - Big Momma Helen (Short) C-1 for sale - $275 OBO

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

unkltwisto
C Boater

SOLD - Big Momma Helen (Short) C-1 for sale - $275 OBO

Post by unkltwisto »

This is a one of a kind boat built in 2002 from the "Big Momma Helen" 13' 2" slalom boat mold. It was built as a "short version" with an actual length of 10' 9" for recreational use.

Deck is carbon, spheretex and kevlar; hull is all kevlar with some carbon/kevlar reinforcement here and there. Minicell pillars.

Hull has been repainted with a yellow epoxy marine paint to protect the kevlar underneath as it was starting to fade. The boat is rough and home spun looking and weighs in at 30 lbs but it is very easy to paddle and is very wide for a slalom boat (even back in 2002) so its really stable. It paddles much better than it looks :D It has good speed and is highly rockered and can take a lot of abuse.

The pics were taken about 6 months ago - the boat does have some simple grab loops on it now.

Im asking $275 OBO. Email me for more pics or questions.

Thanks
Chris
Attachments
IMG_3602altS.jpg
IMG_3601altS.jpg
IMG_3597altS.jpg
Last edited by unkltwisto on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Big Momma Helen (Short) C-1 for sale

Post by Sir Adam »

That looks very similar (but not identical) to the Millbrook Amoeba... which IMhO is a great boat.
Keep the C!
Adam
unkltwisto
C Boater

Post by unkltwisto »

It paddles really well and would be a great rec boat for someone. Off the water it feels heavy for a composite boat at 30 lbs - but on the water you won't notice the extra weight.

Basically it was designed combining a slightly widened zealot stern with a narrower and shrunken bow of a trophy C-2 - which gives it a super flat bottom and hard bow chines. Though it has more rocker than the zealot and is cockpit center (not bow forward like the zealot) - so it spins, tracks and ferries very predictably and its very stable.

We had a couple of pieces that we could insert into the mold to produce rounded ends from the longer slalom version.

Located in Alabama.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

interesting...
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

This is the first-out-of-the-mold, high rocker Zealot, which itself is very well-behaved.

It's difficult to define what is a "cab forward" design just by the position of the cockpit along a boat's total length. After all, a foot or two of the tail are vestigial. I think what really defines "cab forward" is that the bow has chines and sides that take a bite so that it is easy to paddle in a straight line without J-stroking. I would be interested in what others think. But older slalom c-1s, back in the middle 80s, had bows so side-slippy that when a forward stroke was taken, the water didn't pile up properly on the opposite side of the bow, and so didn't push the bow back during recovery.
unkltwisto
C Boater

Re: Big Momma Helen (Short) C-1 for sale - $275 OBO

Post by unkltwisto »

Thats cool. Did you also modify the bottom of the hull? It looks flatter than the original zealot with a bit harder chines too. Looks almost like a nereus in that pic...Looks good!
Last edited by unkltwisto on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
unkltwisto
C Boater

Post by unkltwisto »

Here's another pic of the boat with the grab loops and "dry" so you can see the faded deck. The other pics I had just washed it and it was still wet. Also, decided to reduce my price to $275 OBO.
Attachments
IMG_3959S.jpg
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

On the Zealot, it's an unmodified hull. I don't know what other changes they might have made at Dagger when they decided to reduce the rocker. Adam Clawson, previous owner and co-designer, didn't mention any. I was fortunate to see the #2 Zealot with its two zones of added FG to the tail. Otherwise it was identical to mine.

Oh, and remember. My Zealot is the original, the first out of the mold.

I like your BMH, but my c-1 days are limited, as I'm now 70 and my knees aren't tolerating sharp bends anymore. I also have a Millbrook Wide Ride which is a nice everyday boat, but not much easier on the knees.
extrabat

Post by extrabat »

Chris,
Any chance of meeting at the Ocoee in October to check it out.
Brian
unkltwisto
C Boater

Post by unkltwisto »

Hi Brian,
Just ran across this tonight - sorry for being slow with the response. Yeah, I could probably work that out depending on the date. What weekend were you thinking? You can contact me at: chrissoileau(at)yahoo(dot)com
Thanks
Chris
unkltwisto
C Boater

Re: SOLD - Big Momma Helen (Short) C-1 for sale - $275 OBO

Post by unkltwisto »

Boat has been sold - thanks!