deleted post

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

the3carrs
c

deleted post

Post by the3carrs »

deleted post
Last edited by the3carrs on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
canoeman61
Pain Boater

Re: any of you have a whitesell whirlwind?

Post by canoeman61 »

the3carrs wrote:Hello, Curious about the whitesell whirlwind. Used to have a pyrahna and a descender and loved them except that they were so long. How is the whirlwind. Anybody got one to sell? Thanks, Sandra
Still looking for a probe 11 or 12 just checking out others as well
The Whirlwind is a fantastic boat. I have owned two and would love to find another one, but alas there are very few of them around. Fast, dry, maneuverable and forgiving. The closest boat to the Whirlwind is the Mad River Outrage, which is also 12 feet long with a similar rocker profile. A friend of mine designed the Whirlwind for Whitesell. I remember paddling a wooden prototype and giving him some input, which he incorporated in the design. That is why it is so different from the other boats. I wish someone would start making them again. I would love to have one made out of the same light PE as the new light L'Edge! To me it was the ultimate 12-foot canoe.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

canoeman61 wrote:A friend of mine designed the Whirlwind for Whitesell.
I am curious, what other boats has Dave Sherrill designed over the years? Whirlwind had a limited appeal after it hit the paddling market because it's smaller dimensions made for a wetter ride than Nolan's other boats (Piranha, Descender). Personally, I thought the design was good and liked it the few times I paddled it back in '98. I preferred it over the Probe models. Have you inquired on the Monocacy or CCADC boards? Good luck with your search for the Whirlwind.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Trey Cambern has (had?) one or two Whirlwinds...
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
riverratrsf
c

Post by riverratrsf »

Sandra, I think you could paddle a Viper 11 fine, but since you're looking for a boat with a more rounded bottom you might want to put a Bell Prodigy on your list as well.

Scott
Keep the Open Side Up!
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Post by boatbuster »

KNeal wrote:
canoeman61 wrote:A friend of mine designed the Whirlwind for Whitesell.
I am curious, what other boats has Dave Sherrill designed over the years? Whirlwind had a limited appeal after it hit the paddling market because it's smaller dimensions made for a wetter ride than Nolan's other boats (Piranha, Descender). Personally, I thought the design was good and liked it the few times I paddled it back in '98. I preferred it over the Probe models. Have you inquired on the Monocacy or CCADC boards? Good luck with your search for the Whirlwind.
The only other boat I am aware of that Dave designed is the Sequel, an 11-foot canoe that I did not like as much as the Whirlwind.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

boatbuster wrote:
The only other boat I am aware of that Dave designed is the Sequel, an 11-foot canoe that I did not like as much as the Whirlwind.
I thought hte Bluehole Sequel / Whitesell Whirlwind were the same boat under different colors. I tried one sample of both and thought they were the same. Maybe one manufacturer had a different thwart set up?
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Having paddled both the Whirlwind and Sequel, I would say each model is different from the other. The Whirlwind reminded me of a smaller version of the Descender. Even though the Sequel was made by Blue Hole, it's design and paddling characteristics reminded me more of the Mad River Rampage and Fantasy boats. But it could be my memory is fading, especially if I'm wrong about the Whirlwind designer being Dave Sherrill.and we all know I am never wrong about anything. Just ask my wife.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

from my files

Sequel P Blue Hole David Scherrill 1997 11' 25" 15" 40lbs Full review at Paddler Magazine
Whirlwind P Whitesell David Sherrill  ? 12'1" 27-29" ?  35lbs  
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;