WTB beater slalom C1

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RobertM
Pain Boater

WTB beater slalom C1

Post by RobertM »

Looking for an older slalom boat to try out. Mostly for attaining on my local run, (which tends to be boney much of the time, another reason to look for a more used boat). Not to many opportunities to run gates within a reasonable drive.

I have no idea what boats in particular make sense, I'm probably ~ 205 lbs dressed to paddle ( a guess, I'm 190 in my shorts). Emotionally I have a preference for a four meter boat, if I'm going long I figure go all the way.

So, if you've got something you'd like to move let me know, if you've got specific thoughts on what I should be looking for, fill me in.

As an aside, I've made an inquiry at Davey Hearn's website, but I thought it would make sense to try here as well.

Thanks in advance

Robert M
Robert

"One Fish, Two Fish
Red Fish, Blue Fish"
Jeffrey Ward
C Boater

Re: WTB beater slalom C1

Post by Jeffrey Ward »

I have an old 4-meter Fanatic II that gets very little use these days. I would like to sell it, but I think it might be too small for someone weighing about 200 pounds. I only weigh 175.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I have a Fanatic 2 and like it at my weight of 185-190 lbs. You most likely are on the high end of getting a lot out of that boat and the cockpit may be narrow for you to sit in if you have large thighs. Otherwise, if the price is right for the Fanatic 2 then snatch and give it a whirl on your runs. The saddle may need to be a smidge lower since the boat's edges will be more submerged than designed.

Other boats to include are the:
  • Zealot
    Dynamic
    Loco
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

If you can find a Maverick+ that might fit the bill - mine floats me fine at 220+. It takes a little more technique to turn it as quickly (stern volume makes pivoting harder) as some designs of similar vintage, but it also has more flat out straightline speed than those same boats. I find that to be more advantage than disadvantage when doing attainments (which is what I do more of in this boat that not)
RobertM
Pain Boater

Post by RobertM »

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions.

Out of curiosity, when I was checking out the Fanatic in the on-line museum, the cock-pit was described as "Standard slalom".

Does anyone know does that compare to something like the Cascade? I measure the Cascade at ~ 18.25 wide where my thighs pass through the plane of the cock-pit opening, with a standard Dagger saddle this is plenty wide enough for me. With a shorter saddle I suppose more of my (ample, sufficient, notable) width will be in the opening, what would I expect for width in that area in a "standard slalom" cock-pit?

Jeffery, I sent you a pm.

Thanks again to all.
Robert

"One Fish, Two Fish
Red Fish, Blue Fish"
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I just measured my Fanatic 2. Inside dimensions of the coaming/cockpit rim are: 17.5" wide x 20.75" long. The 4-meter boats kept their cockpits to a minimum to maximize hull integrity. Funny thing about that now is with the shorter boats, the c-boat cockpits are a lot larger, more like the Atom and Cascade size. So, smaller boats now have bigger holes in them. :-?
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
CanoeBoy
Pain Boater

Post by CanoeBoy »

I also have a Fanatic II and I have to respectfully disagree with the assertion that the boat is too small for a 200 lb paddler. I am 6'2" 200 lb and find the boat to paddle quite nicely, just my two cents.