WTB Dagger/Bell Ocoee or similar

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

MDtheDocta15
c

WTB Dagger/Bell Ocoee or similar

Post by MDtheDocta15 »

Any ideas on where to find a Dagger/Bell Ocoee for sale? Or better yet, what is a similar boat to the mold/skill level of an Ocoee?

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be great!

MD
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Re: WTB Dagger/Bell Ocoee or similar

Post by Cheeks »

I was in your boat about this time last year. You can keep looking for a Dagger Ocoee - they're hard to find but do pop up every now and then. I wouldn't bring a Bell Ocoee down anything abrasive.

I ended up buying a new Viper 11. You're trading a little of the Ocoee's turniness for more stability and speed. Demo if you can, but those are two Frankie Hubbard designs that are pretty close. Closer than the S Fly for example
Chris Loomis
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I would agree that of the boats I have paddled I find the Mohawk Viper 11 is closest to my Dagger Ocoee. I actually find the Viper 11 more nimble, in some ways. It is definitely faster, but it is also wetter.
MDtheDocta15
c

Post by MDtheDocta15 »

Thanks for the info! I'll keep an eye out for both. May even save up to order new from Mohawk - their prices seem pretty reasonable.

MD
we'll c
C Boater

Post by we'll c »

There's a Dagger Ocoee in Montreal for sale at the MEC link below:

http://www.mec.ca/Apps/outdoorGearSwap/ ... _cd=Canoes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know anything about this one, but I borrowed a Ocoee once and really liked it. Might be worth an email (and the guy writes in English and French so there are communication options!) Don't know where you live - east coast or is MD your profession only......

Cheers,

Bob
MDtheDocta15
c

Post by MDtheDocta15 »

Thanks for the heads up! Sent him an email right away. MD are my initials - Mike D. I'm from Wisconsin so hopefully freight or transport can be worked out.

Thanks again!

MD
we'll c
C Boater

Post by we'll c »

If the boat is in good shape, I hope you enjoy it! I liked the Ocoee. Some people find it edgy with relatively hard chines, but if you've paddle for a while you'll probably be ready for it. I also liked a Viper 11, which was slightly easier (I think the chines don't run quite so far toward each end). Love the feeling of carving a quick eddy turn with hard chines!

My paddling is mostly C-1 now, and was OC-2, so my OC-1 experience is limited.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Bob
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Yes, I agree that the Ocoee feels edgier than the Viper 11. The Viper 12 has the same hull cross section as the Viper 11 but it feels edgier than the Viper 11 or the Ocoee (at least to me) because it has one less foot of sharp chine in the center.
MDtheDocta15
c

Post by MDtheDocta15 »

I jumped on an Ocoee in the Boston area that a friend is picking it up for me today. Thanks for the help on this thread. Really hope to get into a Viper someday but I'm stoked about the Ocoee.

Eddy out,

MD