2009 ACA Open Boat Slalom Nationals at ASCI?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Keech
c

2009 ACA Open Boat Slalom Nationals at ASCI?

Post by Keech »

I was wondering if there's any intrest in having the 2009 ACA Open Boat Slalom Nationals at ASCI. This year the event is in Minden, ON, Canada on the Gull River, Aug 1-3. When I talked to Matt Taylor I found out that July and August are probably out but June or September might be possible. Thoughts.......
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'd be interested because that's close enough to make it w/in a days drive (from the SE), however early June and September dates would likely conflict with school which could impact some folks.
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

I think ASCI would be a great venue. I like it a lot more than Charlotte.
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Sure would be nice to have it out west again. Maybe on a river with rocks in it!?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

ASCI at WISP, MD

Post by PAC »

Some items at ASCI:

http://slalomnationals.blogspot.com/200 ... ional.html
The US National Championships on August 30th is an open competition that will draw the best slalom racers in the country, including the entire US Whitewater Slalom Team. The race is a one-day event that involves two race runs for each competitor, the results of which will determine the 2008 National Champions in four different categories.

Race calendar World Series 2008
http://americanopen.canoeworldseries.com/en/athletes
Calendar for year 2008 is designed with respect to Olympic Games in Beijing. Main part of our series in year 2008 is planed short after the Olympic Games. Primary object is presentation of slalom canoeing and new Olympic champions in countries with strong tradition and high popularity of slalom canoeing.
25 – 26 January Australian Open Sydney (Australia)
06 – 07 September Slovak Open Bratislava (Slovakia)
13 – 14 September Slovenian Open Ljubljana (Slovenia)
20 – 21 September German Open Markkleeberger (Germany)
04 – 05 October American Open Wisp (USA)

Although I love events on "real" rivers the parks add some pros - easier set up for organizers, easy access for the public and media, and the oppertunity to provide really challenging course(s) - at least way above my skill sets.

Bottom line - I'm just glad to see the events taking place!!!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Maybe I need to call Kaz. The ACA downriver folks want to eliminate the glass boats (F14) :x anyway, so I could just burn the Wenonah & get a slalom boat :D I'm thinking red. Definitely red.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

When I spoke to Matt Taylor, one of the head cheeses at ASCI, about them putting in a bid for this year, 2008, he told me they would do it but they wanted to combine a lot of our classes, meaning having only 4 or 5. They were more concerned about how it looked for the media. Also there would be no practice and only 1 or 2 days of racing. I know historically that people attend the open canoe nationals with hope of getting in as many practice runs as possible. Now I'm all for getting rid of some classes. I think there are over 30 classes for open canoe slalom, and more being created daily. I don't know how many people would race at this event if there was only 2 days of racing and no practice. Having said all that, I encourage Matt and ASCI to put in a bid for 2009 having 2 days of practice water and at least 2 days of racing. What does the slalom committee think of this? Is there a slalom committee anymore? No flames please.
John Kaz...
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

kaz wrote:When I spoke to Matt Taylor, one of the head cheeses at ASCI, about them putting in a bid for this year, 2008, he told me they would do it but they wanted to combine a lot of our classes, meaning having only 4 or 5. They were more concerned about how it looked for the media. Also there would be no practice and only 1 or 2 days of racing. I know historically that people attend the open canoe nationals with hope of getting in as many practice runs as possible. Now I'm all for getting rid of some classes. I think there are over 30 classes for open canoe slalom, and more being created daily. I don't know how many people would race at this event if there was only 2 days of racing and no practice. Having said all that, I encourage Matt and ASCI to put in a bid for 2009 having 2 days of practice water and at least 2 days of racing. What does the slalom committee think of this? Is there a slalom committee anymore? No flames please.
John Kaz...

It's fairly simple in my eyes... for whatever this is worth.

REC Class... Commercially availible plastic or A.B.S. boat in any length. Solo & Tandem
RACE Class... Composite boat in any length. Solo & Tandem

(Solo) Sub Classes... Juniors (Female or Male), Seniors (Female or Male)
(Tandem) Sub Classes... Juniors, Male Senior, Female Senior, Mixed Senior, Junior/Senior

Juniors = those under 18 years of age
Seniors = those over 18 years of age

This trims the OCSlalom Nat's down to eighteen classes... from i don't even know how many????

If you wanted to trim that again you would throw out REC/RACE designation and ONLY have Solo and Tandem Classes... so now we're down to nine classes.

As someone who has competed in this race, organized and ran it... I can freely tell you that narrowing down the amount of classes would in my eyes make it far more appealing to the groups or organizations that host it.

Lay~tah
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Just curious, can't remember, is the Zephyr Race or Rec.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

cbcboat wrote:Just curious, can't remember, is the Zephyr Race or Rec.
Last week the Downriver folks "didn't want to set a precedent" & called the Mistral (same material) F14 (race) due to the material.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Yah! But Wade wasn't about to pour white gas in it, light her up and send it off down the river in protest.

Like someone else we know! :wink: Just say'n!

I agree with others that for most of us non- or semi- occassional racers all those classes are a tad confusing! Granted knowing an obscure class to enter in might get ya a 3rd or better.... if ya really have to win!

Fewer days would work too for those traveling, having a family and work that is not quite so understanding.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

It has to be noted that a large % of the participants at nationals are beginner/intermediate type. It is important that the course is 'doable' for non experts. With that, a few practice days are necessary for those folks, and is good for the more experienced as well. I've never been to ASCI but I know its a long way from Montana and none of the Westerners would come if there were only 2 days of just racing and no other days to practice or just paddle for fun. The West Coast folks are probably not considered when choosing a site, unless we make a bid, but I do believe when it was held in MT we had more people from MT than any other race has had local paddlers--don't know if that makes sense--I think 20 or so people from Montana showed up. As far as 'press coverage' is that really important, are they paying for anything or helping out in any way. I think my point is the site has to be inviting for all skill type and be accessible to a better portion of the country. I agree that ease of set up and logistics is great but the paddlers are the most important part of the race. I also agree that having fewer classes would be good as well. I won't blab anymore.
Thanks,
B
Keech
c

Number of days for the Nationals

Post by Keech »

Let's see, the closed boat Nationals at ASCI last year had five days of practice and one day of racing, and think it'll be the same this year. The American Open will probably have five days of practice and two days of racing this year. All of those days had about 6 hours dedicated to the race, (raft free). I don't see why two days of practice and three days of racing would be out of the question for the Open Nationals.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

PAC wrote:Yah! But Wade wasn't about to pour white gas in it, light her up and send it off down the river in protest.

Like someone else we know! :wink: Just say'n!
For the record, I was NOT going to send it down the river in flames. I would not polute even that river like that. Now the parking lot...... :wink:

For those who were not there & didn't hear, I was not upset about Wade's boat going into the F14 class. Heck, I think more folks should step up & paddle real race boats. There is a movement to eliminate the F14 class. That movement has been tabled till next year & will be brought up in Maine. Since they tabled the motion I let the boat live.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

If ASCI can provide us with at least 3 days of open practice I say go for it! If they can give decked boaters 5 days of practice, the least they could do would be to accommodate us with 3 or 4 days. It's not the story I was told though.
CBC - I love traveling "out west". As do many others. If there was a site in Colorado or Montana that would put in a bid for example, that would be awesome. It would be great if there was more than one site that put in a bid for this event.
JKaz