Hudson Armada-July

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Hudson Armada-July

Post by Sir Adam »

Yup, it's that time of year again...we're all looking for water! The Hudson is dam-release all summer long Tues, Thurs, Sat., and Sun.

So...any takers if I was to hold an Armada July 24th and 25th? I believe that was the Downriver race over on the Salmon, but I hear that's been moved to August.... The river will no doubt be a bit on the lowish side, but I'll still be in glass, and there will be some nice surfing to be had.

It is an ALL DAY trip, and I'll ask that you have a solid or semi-solid roll. There are two class IV rapids even at these "low" levels, but both are portagable.

Unless we get a bunch of rain (always possible) the river will most likely be around the level we moved venues because of last fall-that was because of the time of year. In July it will be in the 80's and a long day will be enjoyable (unlike October when the temp's hovering in the 50's).

Please post, PM, or e-mail me if you're interested, and please note if you would like to come but would like another option-if enough folks are interested we'll split in to two trips, with the easier group running the Sacandaga, Schroon (if running) or another part of the Hudson (if running).

I can provide free camping with potable water and an outhouse.

A less than complete but rather lenghty description of the Hudson that I posted for the fall armada...use the search function (for "Hudson" to find all the related posts...):

The Hudson is most likely different than most rivers many of you have run in several respects-
1) It's a long wilderness trip
2) The rapids (at "normal" fall levels-3-5') are technical, not big
3) The river, though not as wide as the Ottawa in all spots, is fairly wide-there is more than just 1 line down the river, and with only a few exceptions (namely the class IV rapids) you can pretty much boat where you'd like (although some lines are easier than others)

So, here we go-THE HUDSON:
The first 3 miles are actually on the Indian River as NZMatt stated-3 miles of class III, with one great spot to regroup, and several smaller ones. The first rapid is Indian Head, followed by the FInch Pruyn Islands (regrouping spot, not really a rapid), and Gooley Steps. Also, as NZ Matt stated this is fairly continuous class III stuff-if you are comfortable paddling in moving water (read waves and small holes) you'll be fine. Also, at normal fall levels the Indian, though only class III, will be the toughest part of the day (due to it's continuous nature).

Then the Confluence with the Hudson. This is the last point you can take out for many miles (and even here requires a bit of a walk, but there is a road at least, though it is private)

The first rapid on the Hudson is Cedar Ledges. Class IIish at normal fall levels, IIIish if higher, but really a float and chat for most folks.

We can stop off at Virgin Falls (nice little water fall on the side of the river where a stream enters into the Hudson) and stretch our legs a bit

Next is Blue Ledge-at 5' or so I think it is defined as Class V in an old guide book-I seriously DO NOT SEE IT. Class III, yes, and V when there is A LOT of water, but seriously, it's no more difficult than the Indian. This is the half-way point by mileage, but not time.

Just below this is a GREAT surf wave river right (and a great squirt line above it in Blue Ledge Pool, also river right). There is a public trail into the river at this point (3 miles round trip, I think), and it's a good lunch spot.

The surf wave is the very top of the Narrows, the bottom of which is the first class IV of the day. It is portageable. It features BIG waves (not ottawa-sized, though), and one hold to avoid (very easy to avoid it, again, if your comfortable paddling in moving water).

Below the Narrows is Osprey Nest, a fun little bouncy class III, and a HUGE pool (square eddy) to regroup in).

After Square Eddy is Carters, or Split Rock. There is a hole river center (the appropriately named "Big Nasty" (hear that KNeal? BIG NASTY ) to avoid, but it's super easy if you know it's there. Carters is long, but there are eddys to catch, and it's class IIIish. You do need to watch out for "Little Nasty"(another souse hole) near the end, but at lower levels (3') the rock that causes it is out of the water.

After Carters is OK Slip, which is short with some pools,

This leads into Giveny's Rift, the second class IV of the day, and the most serious water on this section of the river. Again, it is portageable. J. will no doubt have fun playing in it, but the rest of us will most likely just run it straight. It's short, and there is a bit pool at the bottom, but there are a lot of rocks, and the currents are strong. For those that have paddled the North Branch, think of a bigger, longer, steeper Robins Nest. Multiple small drops to paddle through (no really trashy holes at this level, though).

After that is Gunsight In and Out (fun little class IIIs agian), and Harris (aka Mile Long). Fairly continuous class II/III, with a few holes right off river-right on shore to avoid.

Next is Greyhound Bus Stop, and almost river-wide play feature (hole in this case). A great way to end the day is to use what energy remains here Nice eddy, and very deep after the ledge itself (remember to tuck on those windowshades...). There is also a nice surf wave just above it.

The last few miles are float or paddle, depending on how tired everyone is. If the rive is up (closer to 5') it's a quick float. Closer to 3' and it's a long float unless you paddle (I think it's 2 Miles or so, though it may be 3).

More Information:
To check out the river level-http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv?01315500 (this also shows CFS as well as feet) and more information about the Hudson- http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/1321/.

A consistent role and comfort in moving water is required, as this is a long trip, and it will be fall paddling in New England (as previously mentioned, most folks from south of NYS will most likely be most comfortable in a drytop.) The scenery is unbelievably gorgous (no pun intended ), especially during this time of year (fall foliage).

Anyone else that would like to add there thought on the Hudson, please do so-I've been guiding the gorge for the past 10 years, and it's familiar territory to me-fresh perspectives like NZMatts and others are very welcome.

In case you wonder what sorts of boats travel this regularly, XXX, Z's, Forplays and Scores are not uncommon. The river manager for one rafting company "safety boats" in an S6. I makes for a loooong day, but he has fun.
Keep the C!
Adam
jKelly-Rand

Post by jKelly-Rand »

Alright, I've been thinking about the Hudson. My thoughts are is it going to be glass or plastic. The last two miles will be agony for me in glass, but if we tie two glass boats together and make a raft then maybe I will survive:)
The weekend of the 24th will be a tight fit, as I need to be back in Boston for the 25th. I believe the following weekend would be better for me but if others prefer the 24th I can manage.

till next
Jim
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Ok...

Post by Sir Adam »

I'll keep the following weekend under advisement-if it's better for others as well, we'll move it! The 17th might be a possibility as well. So, let me know!
Keep the C!
Adam
TC

Hey Adam!

Post by TC »

A little off the topic but scanning over this it reminded me to ask you- do you by any chance have a Millbrook Culprit for sale - I think you at one time did? My interest is piqued again.

I wish J. and I could make it to the Armada - it sounds like it's going to be an awesome week-end! ONE of these days we'll get there!

Hope the summer is treating you well!

C-in peace!

Sara ( now Tess ) didn't know if you'd know who I was.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Gone, BUT...

Post by Sir Adam »

For better I suspect it has a happy new home being boated all across the US by a beginning OCer (yes, he did try it out first). That said, I believe a fellow nearby has one for sale:

http://www.npmb.com/dcforum/DCForumID2/6428.html

Not as pretty as the one I had (which was blue), but Wayne does take great care of his boats...and he's the one that runs npmb.com.

If he still has it and you want me to check it out for you I'd be happy too.

Hope to C you sometime soon!
Keep the C!
Adam
TC

THANKS!

Post by TC »

Sir Adam! I'll check it out and let ya know!
Chuck Wilkison
c

Hudson River on July 24

Post by Chuck Wilkison »

Hi Adam, I can make it on the 24th and am willing to show any new to the river open boaters my "lines" for a mostly dry run.

Chuck
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

It's official...July 24th

Post by Sir Adam »

I've heard from a few folks off the board, and it looks like we're all set for a run down the Hudson Gorge July 24th.

For those that are local, we'll meet at Whitewater Challengers in North River, NY around 9 am.

For those that aren't, free camping at my barn about 20 min from WWC-e-mail me for directions. (info@cboats.net)

If people are up for it I'd be happy to bring my gas grill in to the barn Sat. night for a cook out (e.g. let me know if you'd like to stay Sat. night and hang out a bit, or if you'll be taking off after we take out).

So far it looks like we'll have 4 or 5 paddlers. If there are any other takers let me know! It's a great river!
Keep the C!
Adam
TC

The culprit

Post by TC »

Sir Adam- Thank you again for your post on the Culprit - can you please email me directly 'cuz I have some things to fill you in on.
Thanks!
gallerycat@hotmail.com

Tess
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Hudson Armada Update

Post by Sir Adam »

Well, we're on for this Saturday! 5 paddlers or so right now...any other takers? The water is up from the rain we've had this week to a great summer level (fun, but not too challenging yet). The weather is supposed to be nice, too.

Please let me know if your coming though so we know!
info@cboats.net

reply will be from att.net ....
Keep the C!
Adam
Bob Zazzera

Sunday Run 7/25 - Indian Hudson

Post by Bob Zazzera »

I won't be at the Indian-Hudson on Saturday the 7/24, But I'm up for a run on the 7/25.

A few friends are meeting at the Rt28 take-out (base of hill) at 9AM.

Cheers,
Bob.Z