C1 Thigh Strap setups. Post em if ya got em.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

crazy88
c

C1 Thigh Strap setups. Post em if ya got em.

Post by crazy88 »

Here's the deal. I have the 'knee spreader' foam blocks put in since my last post. They work great. Only problem now is in whitewater, when I roll, If it's rough, I get dislodged underwater and can't get the sweet spot for my low brace and end up having to swim cause of the travel due to lack of thigh straps holding me into the boat I believe. I can roll it bombproof in flatwater.

e-mail if you prefer.

ajherkert (at) stthomas (dot) edu

i dont know what to do from here:

link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9469543@N03/3524015581/
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I think there's 2 basic options:

A "post" structure, where you run a shaft parallel to the boat through/between the foam, and you can attach strap anchors to the exposed shaft/post in your cockpit.

Or a perpendicular brace, where you bolt in some plastic that hugs the hull and has attachments for straps.

I would be interesting to see a variety of pictures though.

PY.
crazy88
c

Post by crazy88 »

two more shots:

Can you elaborate more on this? I have heard much of this pvc/parallel to the boat design, but cant really figure out the anchoring.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

There are a number of different conversions documented within the "Outfitting" section of this site. You'll also find many by doing a quick search (I'd recommend starting in the Outfitting section though):

http://www.cboats.net/outfitting/
Keep the C!
Adam
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

The "parellel" or "rail" system that I have is basically an old paddle shaft that goes through the foam of the bulkhed and the foam saddle, both of which are glued down and also wedged and bolted to the hull, so everything stays solid. This leaves you with a section of bare shaft in that gap in front of your saddle, to which you can attach webbing etc. for straps.

What you'd have to figure out is how/where to get the shaft through the foam, how to secure the foam into the boat, and what to attach to shaft for your straps. Probably lots of solutions for any of those issues, depending on your gear and preferences.

PY.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

In addition to the outfitting and boats search on this site...

Doing a Google Images search for "c1 outfitting" provides some additional phots and reference sites.

PY.
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

Here is the outfitting in my converted Prijon Delerious. The outfitting kit was purchased from Bernie at The Whitewater Warehouse. ( http://www.kayakdayton.com/ )
The outfitting is is virtually the same as what East Coast Canoes posted in a recent thread "Bernie Style Outfitting".
The straps are screwed through the old kayak outfitting hole with a stainless screw and fender washer. The other end goes under the Liquid Logic seat rail. It is a pretty good system coupled with the semi-bulkhead.

Mick :D

Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Here's the setup in my creek boat - Dagger pedestal, thigh straps with "airplane" buckles and snowboard knee straps.

Larry
East Coast Canoes
C Guru

Post by East Coast Canoes »

Crazy 88,
you would want some form of seat rail or center support to allow a double dring to slide under in wich thigh straps could go through.
here's a few pics,
if you need any hardware, let me know
john
ImageImageImageImage
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Are you converting a Crazy88 perchance?

In mine I kept the seat rail on the bottom, bolted the center strap to where the seat previously attached at the front, and ran it through a small hole in the saddle.

My straps are attached about 4 inches behind the last seat bolt hole, and are made form a pair of snowboard bindings, some webbing, and a pair of ratchet backband strips, all linking into a QR buckle from an old buoyancy aid between my legs

Blocks above your knees to stop them coming out vertically will probably help somewhat too.

The picture below is a pretty poor one, but it gives you a rough idea. I'll try to get a better one uploaded later.

Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

TheKrikkitWars, that's an interesting looking/concept for outfitting.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I didn't have enough foam for a bulkhead after making the a full length saddle, but realized that I just needed to stop my legs rising up as the saddle was doing the most important job that a bulkhead would.

I'm planning to glue the saddle and add some more foam and maybe timber or carbon rods, to brace it all before i go to the Nile; Currently a swim in powerful water would likely have my saddle out given how it's held in solely by its pressure on the pillars.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
crazy88
c

Post by crazy88 »

im doing a bulkhead, working with Dennis @ Northwest Canoes to firm it in there and do it all legit. Hopefully that will take care of my knees enough to avoid ripping out all of the existingoutfitting to get that center rail in.

i did get some gnarly snowboard bindings to shred though :cry:
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

you go crazy 88!
at least you'll get lots of practice cutting and fitting foam before you get it set up for real.
Larry
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »