Stomper 80 vs 90

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

gumpy
C Maven

Stomper 80 vs 90

Post by gumpy »

any comparisons yet? which is faster?
Joe
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

probably be about the same depending on the height/weight of the paddler... scaling dude... it's more about which one fit's you and your specs better.

should be a good conversion though from what I've seen of it... lot's of positive buzz around that Faceboat.

:wink:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Would be curious to try it out for sure... But the huge rocker bugs me. I like much better the rocker profile of my remix; keeps speed and tracking and the chines are just enough for the boat to still respond well. Rounder hulls like the jefe needs more rocker to be responsive.

Why would you keep such rocker when you now have made a flat-bottomed design? Unless you're a poor nose-plugged yakker who can't lean his boat so efficiently?

In fact not sure the whole design sounds so new; to me that stomper sounds a whole like that other slow but very carvy conversion from riot the magnum

http://www.riotkayaks.com/cree2.html
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

marclamenace wrote:Would be curious to try it out for sure... But the huge rocker bugs me. I like much better the rocker profile of my remix; keeps speed and tracking and the chines are just enough for the boat to still respond well. Rounder hulls like the jefe needs more rocker to be responsive.

Why would you keep such rocker when you now have made a flat-bottomed design? Unless you're a poor nose-plugged yakker who can't lean his boat so efficiently?

In fact not sure the whole design sounds so new; to me that stomper sounds a whole like that other slow but very carvy conversion from riot the magnum

http://www.riotkayaks.com/cree2.html
Now, did you know (and this has been a massive advance in creekboat technology in the past 12 months...) that having contiuous rocker makes for a faster boat, allowing you to have more speed than with rocker breaks... which were originally introduced when designers realised that adding lots of rocker would make boats easier to paddle (and it does, ability to lean or otherwise.)

The result is that something that's featured on several older creekboats (the Gus is a good example of this) has now been resurected with a new modern twist (and it's not just the stomper, all five of this years new boats, [stomper, new mamba, shiva, tuna & raptor] all use a variation on this theme of continious rocker profiles, a softened version of the classic planing hull, and plenty of bow rocker).

With regards to paddling the Stomper, my experience of boats in general suggests that medium people will find the 80 faster and big boys will find the 90 faster, but still be a touch slower than the medium people in the 80....
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

It still looks like a Karnali to me
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I spent lots of time running my hands over the Stomper and Shiva at the OR show. The Stomper has got me thinking or replacing my Necky Blunt. Prob the 80 model. To my eye, the Stomper looked like a winner with the edges and rocker profile. The shiva looked unremarkable to me.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Smurf; I'll take the Blunt.
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

I paddled with a K Stomper 80 all weekend on low water RFG and it looked good. Great glide, boofs were soaring! I'm also worried about the plastic though so we'll see. This guy paddling one will certainly be a true test.

I can't get the Pure XL out of my mind, there was medium one with us for much of the weekend as well and it looks great also.

I'd wait for a Tuna if Bliss Stick would be a little more forth-coming with information but the lack of communication is bumming me out.

Dan P.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Smurfwarrior wrote:I spent lots of time running my hands over the Stomper and Shiva at the OR show. The Stomper has got me thinking or replacing my Necky Blunt. Prob the 80 model. To my eye, the Stomper looked like a winner with the edges and rocker profile. The shiva looked unremarkable to me.
Any sign of a company called ZET?

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Nope, didn't see them at all. Would like to though as I've hears good things about that boat and saw a pic of one on facebook from a euro friend. Looked very cool.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    AJ
    CBoats Addict

Stomper

Post by AJ »

I got to see the Stomper 80 and 90 this past weekend at CKS. It looks like a great creeking kayak, but as a canoe the back combing/deck is only 9.5" or so high from the bottom of the boat. I don't think it would be good option for C1 paddlers that want a higher saddle.
    TheKrikkitWars
    CBoats.net Staff

Re: Stomper

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

AJ wrote:I got to see the Stomper 80 and 90 this past weekend at CKS. It looks like a great creeking kayak, but as a canoe the back combing/deck is only 9.5" or so high from the bottom of the boat. I don't think it would be good option for C1 paddlers that want a higher saddle.
    Are there really that many c1 paddlers who aren't au-fait with the fact that they're going to get a mid height saddle and have to fight with the rear cockpit height when putting their feet in?

That has been a problem with converting pretty much every serious creekboat (even in the Solo, which is happily dealing with phil's 8"+ saddle) for years, yet it hasn't bothered people.

Even if it does matter that much more in the stomper for some reason... the correct combination of foam, plywood, a car jack and heatgun can soon sort it out!

AJ
    CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

Well I am comparing the Stomper to the large Burn and H3. As a stock boat, the Burn seems to be quite a bit higher in the back then the Stomper, which I think I would prefer sitting on a higher saddle.

If you get a Stomper, please share your conversion.
    fez
    CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

has anyone tried it yet ?
    imagine