Claw like hands sensation

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Big Al
CBoats Addict

Claw like hands sensation

Post by Big Al »

Anyone ever get the sensation of your hands seizing up during/after a lengthy, or not so lengthy, paddle?

During the last few miles of flat water of the LG Saturday, my hands, especially my t-grip holding one (left), got real painful and it felt that they were seizing up with what...arthritis (?)
After a few minutes trying to shake that clenching feeling out and taking a very relaxed grip I was on my way again.
I don't think I was gripping too tightly to begin with, but maybe I was?

Big Al
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

I noticed that when I grip really tight on my paddle, it wears me out quickly and I sometimes cramp up. Except i cramp up in the forearms. It sometimes happens when I get in survival mode and paddle really hard. Relaxing a bit seems to help.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

Too many Golden Monkies! :lol:
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

So I've been thinking about something similar recently. In kayak instruction, kayakers are taught to have one hand locked on the paddle, usually their right hand, and have one hand less tightly gripped, which allows you to feather the paddle in one hand while maintaining a solid grip at all time.

With my Canoe paddles, I find that my shaft hand is the "locked" hand. When paddling, the shaft hand is 100% solid. My T-grip hand is flexible and I allow myself to have some give when grabbing the T-grip. I don't hold my T-grip that strongly.

Occasionally, in those beatdown times, the paddle gets ripped from my T-grip and I have to find that T-grip again to roll up. My technique is to run my left (t-grip) hand to the shaft where my right (shaft) hand is solid, then work my T-grip hand up the shaft to the T-grip again.

This also means that if/when/never/occasionally/not this year/OK a few times this year/ I have to pull my skirt and swim. I hold my paddle in my right hand (shaft) hand and pull my skirt with my left hand (T-grip hand). And I never let go of my paddle.

So I ask you AL and other lurkers, is your shaft hand solid on the paddle? Or you do you try to give hold your T-grip with unrelenting strength?

I do not have the issues you speak of, in my opinion, because i keep a relatively loose grip on my T-grip. I could understand though, why a lefty paddler with a more confident right hand would try to hold the T-grip for all life and not have a bomber hold on the shaft.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Al - I have had my hands clench up before where they can not be opened - a medical professional told me it is likely potassium depletion.
Big Al
CBoats Addict

hands

Post by Big Al »

More bananas in the diet, then?

Big Al
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I've had that happen towards the end of a run or when I've been nervous. Usually the shaft hand, though. Remembering to loosen the grip and flex has taken care of that. Bananas are good, too.
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

I get it in my shaft forearm, usually on a long day, but sometimes it appears on short runs. It usually first appears on eddy turns or peelouts - duffek-ish moves where I'm really hanging off the paddle...mega forearm cramps, difficult to unclench the shaft hand. The dreaded Scepter Hand...
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Re: hands

Post by Todhunter »

Big Al wrote:More bananas in the diet, then?
Big Al
Yep, exactly what they recommended. I hate bananas, so I won't be adding them to my diet.
Al Donaldson
Pain Boater

Potassium and...

Post by Al Donaldson »

Big Al (as opposed to myself, who might be termed "Somewhat Lesser than Big Al)...

I'll not ask your age, but I (much older than dirt --in fact, I was on the design team for dirt) have found that, as I got older, the balance between various electrolytes (Potassium, salt, etc.) and blood sugar became critical in avoiding hand and leg cramps.

You can test this pretty easily: eat a candy bar before paddling and watch for the cramps: if they come on early or strongly, then you've got the old imbalance!

I discovered this a while back when driving long distances, with almost no pressure on the hands -- just the elevated hand position, along with a sugar load, was enough to do it. Dropping the sugar intake and elevating the electrolytes eliminates the problem for me. (No indications of diabetes, just a simple, possibly age-related imbalance.)

HTH

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Avenue
Cedar Falls, IA
(319) 277-3194
LEW
C Guru

Post by LEW »

BA,
I have experienced your same "affliction". Sometimes the top hand and sometimes the shaft hand. I think that it is a result of too much concentration on the river and not enough focus on the fun. I usually can "shake it out" and go on without a problem, once I realize the need to relaxe! Cold water and/or cold weather ARE the obvious factor!
This only seems to be a problem (for me), during Spring and Fall outings. Gloves help, though they too, may tire your hands until you have adjusted. My advise, dress for the day and RELAXE!!!
LEW
Big Al
CBoats Addict

cramps

Post by Big Al »

al --

Thanks for the advice. Yes, old age may be a factor, if not in mind... probably in body.

I rarely eat candy bars n usually have a pb&j or 2, apple, and some trail mix or granola bar while on the river along with gatorade in my bottle.

What do others out there usually eat/drink on the river? Is this a new thread?

Then comes the Golden Monkies, of course, and that's a legendary shuttle story.

More bananas it is, I guess.

Big Al
East Coast Canoes
C Guru

Post by East Coast Canoes »

Brown Claw?
ha ha
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

If you don't like bananas, you get get your necessary electrolytes from a product such as what Hammer Nutrition makes. Just add a scoop or 2 to your drinking water. Your cramping problems will be over, I guarantee it.

JKaz
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

What are these Golden Monkeys you speak of. :o
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;