beginner ww boat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

zappaddles
Pain Boater

beginner ww boat

Post by zappaddles »

Looking for a good advanced beginner ww boat as a gift. As the recepient is young, smart, atheletic, has incredible balance (former gymnast) and already paddles an Explorer I believe the learning curve will be very short for him so I don't want to start him off in a true beginners boat. I have a line on a Probe 12 at a reasonable price. Any thoughts on that boat or any other potential boat(s) is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vince Zappia
Suwanee Ga.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Esquif Spark.

Although if he will want to cruise flattish stuff just for scenery, the Probe 12 will be OK.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Are you thinking an open canoe (OC1) or decked (C1)?

Then you need to think about what type of paddling he may be doing - river running / cruising, hole moves, surfing, creeking, etc....

Lots of boats out there, lots of great options.
Keep the C!
Adam
zappaddles
Pain Boater

boat use

Post by zappaddles »

Typical SE US river running up to low level class 3 (for now) is what he''ll be running. I'm a class three low level class 4 boater and assume I'll be the one he goes with (for now).
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

If you're thinking decked, look for a used slalom boat, Dagger Atom, or Viper.

Though a Sith would be an awesome first C1 (would definitely spoil him).

I think there is one for sale used in the SE too...
Keep the C!
Adam
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

Esquif Spark or Viper11
Probe 12 wouldn't be bad but expect a young, athletic person to soon grow out of it.

A sweet c-1 (makes/models already mentioned) would remain interesting for a good long while.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

maybe look for loaners, to help let him decide what's comfortable...

Is there a canoe shop around to rent? Or maybe even a club like Carolina Canoe Club or the Georgia Canoe Assoc. where you may find others willing to let him try out a boat? With great balance, he might step right into a little roto-molded boat, or with little learning curve? Their size would certainly be benefical, if not wwanting a C1.
zappaddles
Pain Boater

Post by zappaddles »

He's about 5'8" and 160 or so lbs. Definitely want an open boat.
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

Somewhat dependent on how much of a beating the boat will take, but Esquif Zephyr or Detonator come to mind.
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

if you can find one ... my first solo boat that i learned on was a Dagger Ocoee ... they are really fun boats and are stable as all heck
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
zappaddles
Pain Boater

Post by zappaddles »

I thought the Ocoee was a more advanced boat. What do you paddle now? An Ocoee would likely be out of my price range.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

As a beginner, my personal opinion is that I wish I had started out in an advanced hull. It's not that I don't like my Encore, because it is a great boat, and I do love it, but after 5 trips in it, I was ready to step it up and now have 2 boats. The Encore will be good for taking beginners along with, and still getting in for the occasional trip. It is fast, long, and made of that good old Royalex.
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

i paddle any openboat i can get my hands on :) lol ... my main boat is a Savage Skeeter at the moment ... but i have found the Ocoee to be a forgiving boat
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

I agree with SG86. The Ocoee would be good for a beginning paddler because the boat has great initial stability. The hard chine would give a lot of beginning paddlers a rude awakening but if he can control the tilt with his balance he will love paddling the Ocoee. Also the Outrage would be good. It doesn't have great initial stability but he would get used to that really quick.
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

f boats

Post by Longboatin »

for a kid why not check out a flashback or fantasy. I think I saw a fantasy up on craigslist.
put some time in one a those, he be darn good in anything after.