Best skirt for converted K1 to C1 boats?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Joshua
c

Best skirt for converted K1 to C1 boats?

Post by Joshua »

Im having problems with my skirt popping off. If I miss my first roll I usually fall out of my boat with out pulling the cord. I know just make the first roll and this wont happen, but has anyone else had this problem?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

the problem is that a C!er is positioned a bit further forward in the cockpit compared to where the yakker was. The tunnel in a standard yak skirt is therefore too far back, creating excessive tension which can cause the skirt to blow off. Depends on the cockpit rim design/shape and tunnel offset.
Your best be is to order a custom skirt with a C1 specific tunnel offset.
Monuntain Surf, SkirtworkS and Snapdragon will build custom skirts for you.

http://www.mountainsurf.com/
http://www.skirtworks.com/
http://snapdragondesign.com/

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

What he said; I have a Custom IR deck with forwards tube.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
jrsh92
C Guru

Post by jrsh92 »

How much will a custom made, reasonably good quality skirt cost from Snapdragon?
Also, a not custom, all neoprene whitewater Snapdragon skirt runs about $100... a not custom, all neoprene Seals skirt for $150, is that enough better to justify the huge markup over Snap Dragon skirts? Is it better at all? I've used both brands though I wasn't paying attention to the quality at the time, and while I wasn't looking closely neither one stood out as better... would a Seals skirt last a LOT longer or is it just priced higher because its a more well known name or something and they can get away with it?
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Seals is more expensive because they're well known; I don't actually rate them.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
kenseb
c

Post by kenseb »

IR was $117 including shipping.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I can't talk about snap dragon presonally, but I just observed that my MS skirts are a lot dryier and last a lot longer than most other skirts that my friends use. I also have never had an MS skirt come off, as opposed to other skirts.
I will be an MS customer for life.

I have onbe skirtwerks skirt, which I would rate on par with the MS skirts.

Bottom line is, you get what you pay for. Fit, materials, workmanship.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

Just get into an OC and all your problems are gone. :D
You know what they say about guys with long boats.............. I have a 16 footer!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

my Snapdragon was dry and fit nice, but it blew off a couple of times. I now use a Mountain Surf and have not had a single problem in three years. Good stuff.
Larry
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

I had snapdragon make a custom skirt for my Fink. Fit is really good. I have not put it to the test in a hole to see if I can get it to blow, but I doubt it will. Cost was $116 including tax (I picked it up at NRS - 8 miles away). I think it was less than 2 weeks between sending in the outline of the cockpit rim and having the skirt.

I'm sure the others are good too.

Marc
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Which may point to a boat design difference as much as skirt quality - the Fink, and other "real" C-1s have a good bit smaller cockpit than modern kayaks (esp creekers) which means less surface area for the skirt - less area for water to pile up on.

[From what I understand, that thinking has influenced British sea kayak design (largely based on Greenland boats) - they see smaller cockpits as a safety feature as there is less likelihood of having your deck imploded by a wave. The ones I've tried (i,e, Nordkapp) weren't that hard to get in as the cockpit is angled a bit (up at the front, down at the back) and you slide forward into the boat.]
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

I've had a snapdragon liplock for a couple years and it is great. i've never had it implode and I've frequently paddled big water using the skirt on my big ez which has a smaller cockpit than the boat I purchase it for originally. It's been great on my remix, also. Very dry and durable!
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

I am thinking of getting a "real" C1 skirt one day, but for now use an harmony LC-1. those are cheap and all neoprene so they kind of fit good even if they are not middle tunnel they adjust easily. probably not as dry though but hey, a stop to empty the boat also helps stretching your legs! :wink:
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

I've used a Snapdragon C custom skirt on a converted Prion Delerious and never had a problem. Ran the Lower G and rode every hole, skirt never came off.

Mick :D
oc ender
C Guru

Post by oc ender »

I also use a snapdragon and have had no issues.Great customer
service,i had mine inside of a week.I'm sure at this time of year you could have it pretty quick,tell 'em the boat and it's a c-1 and you're good to go.You can even have 'em add a pink grab loop(or whatever your colour is) to accessorize!!! :lol:
That wasn't carnage,watch this...