Millbrook C-1's

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Millbrook C-1's

Post by chuck naill »

I am curious about any experiances with these boats. If you have used them, which models and what kind of rivers.
Thanks
Chuck
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Lesseee...

I currently have only 4 Millbrook boats. 8) They are the boats that I paddle about 150 days a year.

C1's: Hornet* and Stinger*
OC1's: Cobra* and Reaktor
(*my own designs :roll: , which I've had Kaz build)

All have held up very well to my abuse, although I don't creek anymore. Better than my Andy Bridge Fanantic, in fact.

And Kaz's graphics belong in an art show.
Bob P
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

???

Post by sbroam »

So where are the pix of the new C-1 Kaz hinted at a month or two ago?!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Hornet

Post by Mike W. »

Bob was passing through NC a few years ago & let me paddle his Hornet. What shocked me was him putting the boat down in the gravel :o parking lot & telling me to get in to see if I fit. I had never been in a 'glass boat & thought it was a bad idea to get in on gravel, but Bob said that I wouldn't hurt it.

I was paddling a Cascade at the time & the Hornet is much lighter & faster :D . The Hornet rolls easier too. I think it would be a great big water boat.

I have a weakness for red boats. Bob's was red with METALFLAKE :P How could anyone build a 'glass boat without metalflake? That stuff is so neat :P

Hey Bob, Thanks again for the demo!

Mike W.
Evelyn
c

Millbrook

Post by Evelyn »

I also recommend Millbrook Boats. They're fairly popular on the New England Slalom Series scene. I currently own a C-1 Stiletto (a slow turner but otherwise a fast and fine boat for the sort of paddling I do) and a K-1 Sonic. Both are great boats which I paddle both at races and when I'm running rivers. Unless your name is Alden and you're extremely fond of doing enders and running waterfalls in places you probably shouldn't, a glass boat should hold up fine.

I've had my Stiletto for 2.5 years now and the worst damage I've done is a little hole in the stern that I repaired in half an hour.

You can, however, seriously crush your glass boat if you're not careful. When I first started paddling, I wrapped my old Reflex K-1 around a rock (on a class II stream, nonetheless!) and had a big hole to repair. Recently, this same Reflex (now my beater boat....) was somewhat crunched in a nasty, gigantic hole. Fortunately, I was not in the boat when it was crunched... long story.

Reparing glass isn't horrible, however, as long as you have good ventillation, and if you paddle glass (especially a C-1!) on a popular plastic river you'll gain much respect.
Evelyn
c

More on Millbrook...

Post by Evelyn »

I've also paddled the Reactor some. Great open boat. A little tippy at first but great fun.
aldenb

boatin

Post by aldenb »

kaz makes good boats for reasonable prices. my experience is with the c-1s and oc-1s.

My favorite millbrook OC-1 is the Ignitor. I also like the Reaktor, but the ones ive paddled haven't been outfitted for me. The Reaktor is famous for being really tippy when you are getting in (it scared the jesus out of me the first time!) I have only paddled these at races, on class II water. I dont own one, but I love paddling them whenever I can.

The Ignitor especially is actually lighter-feeling than a C-1 and spins faster too. The Ignitor and Reaktor both spin on a dime and are so much faster, lighter and MUCH less work than non-glass OC-1s, such as the mad river outrage (i felt like i was pushing stone in that thing!)

One of my favorite paddling memories is jumping a hole in the Ignitor on the racecourse. it's so light and responsive, it's actually more precision paddling than a C-1 slalom boat in some ways.

i really want to get an Ignitor for creeking and cruising purposes. creeking in a millbrook slalom c-1 (super D) is a no-go (dangerous, and the stern WILL break!) but I think the open boats would be good for just about anything you could throw at them. they're really well made.

glass rules
Alden
aldenb

boatin

Post by aldenb »

whoops, you meant c-1s, didnt you? well, lets see . . .

i have mostly paddled the super dynamic, the slalom boat. i make a point of paddling all the latest slalom boats (galasport, upstream edge, vajda) and the super dynamic is right up there. a world class boat for racing or cruising.

ive taken it down cl V creeks, done enders on rocky rivers and done time on artificial courses with sandpaper rocks, and the super dynamic is still alive and kicking!

i have also paddled a millbrook fanatic. this is a classic design, but the super dynamic is much easier to paddle.
AB
Ken D

boatin

Post by Ken D »

I too have paddled a Super D(ynamic) for the past three years. I am very tough on it and have had to patch it a few times. Not due to problems with the construction but due to my paddling. I asked Kaz to put a little extra in the hull so it would hold up under my abuse. It is a really good boat. I had a Fanatic 92 before this and it also is a good boat, but the Super D's bow stays up on the surface better than the Fanatic, which means less problem with pearling on a wave and less diving when punching holes.

I'd suggest calling Kaz, he has a wealth of knowledge on boats and can answer any questions you have.

His prices are more reasonable than most also.

Enjoy
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

.......and the best thing about them millbrookies is that they float real good !
JK
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Hornet

Post by sbroam »

I had a Hornet for a while and was impressed - solid construction, nice and light, and it looked good, too. I didn't do any creeking in it, but did quite a bit of low water thrashing around and it held up very well, despite a few considerable smacks to the nose. It is amazing how much faster you can go in glass...

I had bought it thinking I'd take down the Grand, but that fell through... I normally prefer boats with edges, but thought a "displacement hull" would be more forgiving in that swirly, funny water in the Canyon. I sold it after the trip fell through and I just *knew* I needed that new plastic playboat... And that new paddle... I still have second thoughts, but I am pretty sure it found a good home...