float bag length, pt II.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

riverratNE
c

float bag length, pt II.

Post by riverratNE »

Hi,

I'm outfitting a dagger rival, and would like to know the length needed for the float bags. The outfitting is a bulkhead style. Thanks for your help.
Last edited by riverratNE on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Re: float bag length, pt II.

Post by pblanc »

The Rival is a 12' 2" long boat. If you want the maximum amount of flotation, you can use 60" long bags.

The length that manufacturers list for bags is the maximum length uninflated. When inflated, 60" bags shorten in length to about 55", give or take an inch. I usually figure on keeping about 36" in the cockpit of the boat clear of bag to accommodate a kneeling paddler. Twelve feet, two is 146" less 110" of inflated bag leaves 36".

You also don't have to maximally inflate bags. If you have a well-constructed bag cage, the bag length will be determined by its dimensions. In your case, the bulkhead should prevent the bow bag from encroaching on your knees. If the stern bag laps over the tips of your toes an inch or two, it is no big deal.

Of course, you can use bags smaller than 60" if you don't want the maximal amount of floatation.
philcanoe
C Maven

Re: float bag length

Post by philcanoe »

hmmm...

:wink:

....isn't minimum none?
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    riverratNE
    c

Post by riverratNE »

pblanc wrote:The Rival is a 12' 2" long boat. If you want the maximum amount of flotation, you can use 60" long bags.

The length that manufacturers list for bags is the maximum length uninflated. When inflated, 60" bags shorten in length to about 55", give or take an inch. I usually figure on keeping about 36" in the cockpit of the boat clear of bag to accommodate a kneeling paddler. Twelve feet, two is 146" less 110" of inflated bag leaves 36".

You also don't have to maximally inflate bags. If you have a well-constructed bag cage, the bag length will be determined by its dimensions. In your case, the bulkhead should prevent the bow bag from encroaching on your knees. If the stern bag laps over the tips of your toes an inch or two, it is no big deal.

Of course, you can use bags smaller than 60" if you don't want the maximal amount of floatation.
    Considering I'm just starting out, maximum floatation sounds like a perfect plan. Thank you for the advice and reasoning behind your suggestion. two 60" bags will be going on my wish list. thanks again!
    riverratNE
    c

Post by riverratNE »

hehe, minimum would be none. don't think that's such a good idea ;-)