Quick Poll on Paddles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

Fiberglass Bandit, for the price you can't beat it. They all wear out.
Rand
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

I usually like the Bandit for creeking, but now that Mitchell has a cool new cboater on their team, I might have to get me another wood blade!

Alden
dafriend
C Guru

Post by dafriend »

I like the Mitchell Premier a lot. It's my axe of choice. Very light and will take a good deal of abuse. Also, customer service wise, Mitchell has been good to me. I have gone through a number of their paddles however.

That said, whenever a Mitchell fails (or I sacrifice one to the river nymphs) I reach back and pull out the old reliable wooden Sawyer. I believe the model is the Stingray. This old horse has taken every possible kind of abuse. Considering the amount of use it looks great. If I don't lose it somewhere it appears to have many more years of use in it.
Jim P
C Guru

Rivrstyx

Post by Jim P »

I've broken two Stingrays. Sawyer fixed them, but I lost my trust. To be fair I have used Sawyer paddles on some remote trips and gotten home without problems. Never broke a jimi stick and I've been much harder on mine than on the Sawyers. They don't wear out like glass sticks, sure they wear down, you get them refurbished and keep going. If you are in it for the long haul, it will be cheaper than the throw away composite paddles.

Wood as also warmer in winter and easier on your joints.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Mitchell. Great product. Excellent repair turn around time.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

As a side note, since we're talking about paddles... anyone know anything about Dagger wood paddles.. has a metal tip. I got it with a boat and was wondering about it.

cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Smurf; Looks like a Silver Creek to me.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

I remember Dagger's paddle as being a good and relatively inexpensive wood paddle. They weren't available long and quit being sold before the canoes.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Silver Creeks where way nicer than that
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Thanks Cadster, was wondering if I'd be defiling something cool if I was to cut it down to size and put a differnt T grip on it.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

They don't wear out like glass sticks, sure they wear down, you get them refurbished and keep going. If you are in it for the long haul, it will be cheaper than the throw away composite paddles.
You can definitely have a composite paddle built back up when they wears. I've seen a few of these repairs.

http://www.paddlesportsrepairs.com/

The bandit is a good paddle. It's reasonably light and stiff and its cheap. It's just not that nice.
Any paddle can be broken or lost... shiit happens.... it's kind of nice when they're only 100 or 150 bucks... but I guess if you can afford a 3 or 400 dollar paddle than you can afford to buy a second 3 or 400 dollar paddle...
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

I have an old DAGGER paddle from the 80s. It says DAGGER and has a Mad River wise rabbit on it, tapered oval shaft, same t-grip, aluminum laminated in the tip. Really good paddle I have taken it out of service though.
Rand
Walsh
CBoats Addict

3M

Post by Walsh »

I currently own two glass Bandits, two Norses, an AB Edge, a Viking, an older all-wood Mitchell Premier, and two Galasport 3Ms.

The Galasports are my absolute favorite. Both were ordered from Sweet Composites. The 3M blade has a strong but predictable catch, does not flutter, and has the smoothest in-water recovery of any stick I have tried. The carbon/kevlar layup is easier on the shoulders and a little tougher than the carbon. You can order a heavier layup in the shaft, which will make it an even more durable paddle.
FURZTROCKEN!
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

If your into wood, Kenny of blunt family paddles based out of the Portland OR area makes works of art. I have one of his kayak paddles and it's just great. Check out his stuff at www.bluntfamilypaddles.blogspot.com . He makes canoe and kayak paddles as well as oars. He trained with Keith Backlund, and is very talented, good guy too.
The line will become apparent
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Smurfwarrior wrote:Thanks Cadster, was wondering if I'd be defiling something cool if I was to cut it down to size and put a differnt T grip on it.
Dagger paddles was some (or several) combination of Keith Backlund (later of Blacklund paddles), Brandy Lesan (Pothole paddles), and Steve Scarbrough (later of... Dagger), among others. So, I'd say it's probably it's a cool piece of paddling history, though I don't think making it something you could use would be considered "defiling."
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com