Amperage question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

watrwzrd
Pain Boater

Post by watrwzrd »

With no water problems ever bothering anything I did however have some problems with the esquif plug ups whoever was doing the connections wasn`t paying good attention about 3 months ago pluged one up for charging when I checked back on it sizzle frry burnt took the plug apart they had removed to much insulation well you know the deal just a 1 strand crossed was all it took
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Ihave always had fuses but no drybox use silicone

Post by Wendy »

on terminals and wrap with self-adhesive neoprene. This keep battery from sliding out easily. I always take the battery out to carry the boat.
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Am I reading some of the replies right that a few of you are running lead acid powered pumps without having the battery enclosed in a waterproof box? If so, did you have to cover the terminals with some sort of goop? Or is the water not conductive enough compared to the wires when it gets submerged?
If the battery is submerged in water there will be some power drained from the battery. For this reason I mount the battery in a cutout on the side of my saddle with the terminals up high. This way the battery terminals will be out of the water most of the time.

Jim
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Amperage - that would be a good name for a boat.
jknkboaters
c

Bilge Pump Battery Terminals

Post by jknkboaters »

Am I reading some of the replies right that a few of you are running lead acid powered pumps without having the battery enclosed in a waterproof box? If so, did you have to cover the terminals with some sort of goop? Or is the water not conductive enough compared to the wires when it gets submerged?
I run a bilge pump with a SLA battery with the terminals exposed to the elements and had it fully submerged many times. The pump has had no performance draw backs when submerged. The battery may draw a insignificant amount of current when submerged but not noticeable to the user.

Check out my site for more questions & answers on Electric Bilge Pumps for Whitewater Canoes.

http://jtkcanoes.weebly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To answer the original question about fuse size for two pumps. With the two pumps in parallel and using one fuse holder you would double the size of the fuse.

Jim
Last edited by jknkboaters on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roger
C Guru

Post by Roger »

watrwzrd wrote:Well that depends maybe where you put `em mine are in cut outs in the back of the saddle about 3or4 inches down from the top you mark the hole and cut it tight some people had problems with them sliding out ,but I use a small nylon holder for ladders kinda like the big canoe straps it go`s around the saddle with a buckel so it won`t fall out So cut it tight. The one in the nitro came from the factory just the same minus said little strap
So I drilled a hole in bran-new Pelican box when I didn't need to!? :cry: :( :-? :roll:
Jim P
C Guru

box or no box

Post by Jim P »

either way will work - you gain a pound with the Box, you drain a small amount of power with the battery in fresh water.

If you plan to use a Lion battery build it with a box and a fuse. SLA - box is optional.

If you plan on ocean surfing - a box might be a good idea as salt water is more conductive.

Spend the money on a waterproof switch.

Soldier your connections when possible - less debugging on the river.

Been running SLA systems with single and double pumps for several years with out fuses or problems.