Solo Canoe Advice.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Bob P
CBoats Addict

Re: Solo Canoe Advice.

Post by Bob P »

My 14-year-old Millbrook boat has many patches, mostly from when it slid into the current when I was doing shore work. :oops: If it was a "rubber" boat, it probably would have been in the trash many years ago. You can fix any normal wear (and most major damage) on a composite to a state that's close to original. Unless the rocks you slide over are really abrasive, a composite will handle them better than "rubber". My boat still weighs under 30 lbs, too.

http://wwslalom.net/bob/2001/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Bob P on Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob P
keithmasill81
Pain Boater

Post by keithmasill81 »

As far as actual feedback on the Octane. I am 6' and about 220. I just recently picked one up and have paddled it a handful of times. So more or less first impressions: super stable (I can comfortable sit on the back of the saddle to stretch out and not feel too tippy); its a very maneuverable boat and you can get the edges to track/engage if you lean it over hard; rolls easy (my first try at rolling an open boat was in this one and I ended up just shy of 50/50 by the end of my first pool session); does not attain well at all (at least with me in it), it is definitely a down river boat and even on flat paddle outs it feels a little slow for my taste.

Hope that helps a little.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Hey Yukonbrett,
Contact David Gendron in Whitehorse. He can offer his opinion of Millbrook composite canoes.
JKaz......
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

I recommend looking at the Millbrook's too! You'll be the envy of your paddling pals at the end of a fun exhausting day picking up that lithe lightweight boat :D ...plus they paddle so well and are distinctively beautiful! Much more durable than one would think.
YukonBrett
C Boater

Post by YukonBrett »

Just trying to make heads or tales from there webpage...
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

I love my L'edge and I'm the same height and weight as you. Not overly fast but if you paddle from the front and carve on edge down the river you have plenty of speed to catch eddies high. Great boat at our weight. I can't comment on the blackfly designs as I have never paddled any of them and have only every seen one on a roof rack.

I have paddled the prelude when I was just starting out and it whipped my a$$ at my weight so i sold it.
Had fun in a Rival for a while but out grew its performance.
Have a Taureau and paddle it mostly when I'm looking for a little bit of a challenge or when I am thinking there will be alot of portaging back up a short section of river to run it again.
YukonBrett
C Boater

Post by YukonBrett »

It does look interesting...
YukonBrett
C Boater

Post by YukonBrett »

Anyone paddled a Vertige or Nitro?
Trex
Pain Boater

Post by Trex »

Sounds like we are on parallel paths. I weigh 210 and carry about the same amount of gear and love the Prodigy X as a river runner.. I also test paddled a Outrage X and I thought it was ok but sluggish in comparison. I still have my Prodiigy X and use it when the water levels are down but bought a Millbrook Defiant that I use when the water is up. I think you would really enjoy the Defiant at your weight. Picture a faster Prodigy X with sharper edges, crisper response, dryer, and with quicker acceleration but still having the same comforting rock solid secondary stability and predictable primary of the Prodigy X. I was originally worried about using a glass boat on rocky rivers but the Millbrook layup far exceeded my expectations. The same scrapes that caused the gouges in my Royalex boats ended up just being a surface scratch on the Millbrook although the noise while it's happening will make you cringe. I haven't hit any rocks head on in a long time but I imagine those hits would not be as forgiving however glass is fixable. Anyway hope that helps.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

Millbrook are made in new hampshire "the granit state".
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
YukonBrett
C Boater

Post by YukonBrett »

Looks nice, albeit longer than I'd prefer...unfortunately, it's cost prohibitive to buy it, ship it and outfit to me in the Yukon...anyone over 200lbs paddle the regular Outrage?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

The regular Outrage should be fine in my opinion. I have one and have used it as my multi-day tripping boat with 2 sall barrels for my gear in it, in addition to my usual emergency kit in a watershed bag. Probably about 50 lbs of gear. My weigh was about 180-
190 lbs. Boat handled fine and was still quite dry.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

YukonBrett wrote:...anyone over 200lbs paddle the regular Outrage?
I had an Outrage and weigh 215 - 220. I kinda miss that boat. It was super fast and accurate. However with a growing fleet and less time I sold it to thin the heard. I was going to keep it as a multi day tripper but also owned a Vertige. I opted to keep the Vertige for tripping for the increased carrying capacity and comfort (wider knee spacing)
YukonBrett wrote:Anyone paddled a Vertige or Nitro?
The Vertige is a great boat for WW multi day trips but far from great if looking to play down the river. Anything else is probably a better choice.
YukonBrett
C Boater

Post by YukonBrett »

Good to hear about the Outrage...have the X, but it's a total battleship...likely more similar to the Vertige...wish I kept my Prodigy X....can't find another one.
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

There is an Octane 92 in Vancouver region- same hull, with 2 saddles if you want to see one.
It would be a fun boat on the right water. Up here would be great on the Tutshi but would hate it on the carry i.
You would hate it on the Takhini after the Jaws, probably get bored of it pretty quick on the Wheaton as nothing on the Wheaton would challenge the boat, could be fun on the Tat. I think the Octane 85 would be better up here(at least thats what I thought when I saw the prototype)

Do you want a boat that is stable, dry, very predicatable that you can float down anything Like an F-250 this would include Blackfly boats, L'edge, Raven, Rival,Blast

or do you want a boat that is fast, snaps into eddies, accelerates quick, wicked fast jet ferries, can attain with, a boat that wants to be driven like a Sports Car. would include Zephyr, composite Viper 12 or Viper 11 made with a little extra depth, a Variety of the Millbrook boats, maybe a Bulldog.

Have thought a Composite Rival from Millbrook would be a nice boat.

I am a big fan of Composite boats. Well built ones stand up well for our local runs, round glacier rock, we dont have a ton of jagged ledges and such.

Still think you would like a Composite Viper 12. They are fast, snap into eddies, a boat that is predicitable but can be also be driven when u want to. Sure its a dated design that does not get much airplay elsewhere but its a good boat for up here.

Ocoee may be another good choice, but I have not spent much time in one
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.