2013 Outback?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dirk
C Boater

Re: 2013 Outback?

Post by dirk »

I have a 2010 Jetta Sportwagon TDI with roughly 55,000 miles on it and, in general, I am very happy with it. Only major service issue was a new AC compressor at 50,000 miles. Disappointing, but I live in TX, so it is AC 11 months of the year. Mileage is great (upper 30s with a canoe on top), plenty of power, racks allow a long spread between bars, and good room in the back. Only issue is low ground clearance. Typically not an issue where I drive/park/boat. I recommend it.
Austin, TX
OC1
Roger
C Guru

Post by Roger »

If the video shows using the LP12 assembly, you take off the forsheet racks and place some solid racks that look almost like factory. Only diss is that the spacing between the racks are a bit shorter than normal.

Carries 16' boat okay. Several short boats as well. Issue arose in 2010 when Subaru made the change. Not sure about the Forester racking system.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

i replaced the rear wheel bearing last night after work. it took an hour and a half from wheels up to washed hands. it cost me $54 and now the sooby feels like new. the new XVcrosstrek looks wicked cool but my big butt won't fit in it. 8) http://youtu.be/36bKje-f3Qo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

two friends of mine who are vw fanatics both say made in germany= great long term, made in mexico don't buy it. for their vintages special models were still made in germany....
Keep the C!
Adam
MarkWid
c

Post by MarkWid »

Kev - a family member may be selling a 2010 Jetta TDI wagon in the very near future. His biggest complaint is that the back seats are small, which shouldn't bother you in the front seat. Give a buzz if you want him to give you a call.

I also have a 1998 Nissan Frontier that's held together with love. make an offer.
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Post by solo_konoe »

Mark! Thanks, but I just bought a used 2012 Outback from a used car reseller: C*rs*ns*. Between me and my kids, this will be my 4th(?) used car buy and I've always been lucky with used cars. Still have 2 years on the original warranty and I have 5 days from the date of pickup to return it.

I loved the TDI's sportiness, but my NPS wasn't thrilled with the manual tranny that I was lusting over, nor the new car cost, so when I saw the Outback this a.m. that just became available, I jumped.

If I wind up hating it in the next 5 days, I'll call you!

Thx,
-K
---
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

just bought a cherry 2009 outback limited with 54k on her. now i have one for each foot. :D
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

ChrisD commented, "AWD is the only option on Subaru's, and it's expensive, both in terms of mileage sacrifice and tire repair and maintenance."

Actually, the best thing about our Outback was that it got fantastic tire life. I got 70k plus on two successive sets, and was still doing well when I sold it at 170k.

Our Outback was a '97, stick. It was more like our previous VW wagons than like our subsequent Accords, in that things broke. We had a burned valve, AC that wouldn't stay fixed, clutch problems, and a warranty alternator repair. I think more recent Outbacks have been more reliable.

Whatever you buy, be careful about manufacturer mpg claims. They were supposed to make the numbers more conservative and realistic, but our '08 Accord, under the new system, got a highway estimate of only 31, and the newest Accord is claiming almost 40. The cars are very similar, and the new CVT tranny is not going to be better than our 5 speed, which locks at highway speed in 4th and 5th gear. Somehow, companies have found how to beat the system without actually delivering the high mpg they claim.