Best skirt for converted K1 to C1 boats?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

slick
C Boater

skirt model

Post by slick »

I'm shopping for my first skirt, for an Atom. These suggested manufacturers (Mtn Surf, SnapD, SkWorks) all have a bewildering array of models. Is a basic neoprene model sufficient? How much value is there in upgrading to kevlar casings, reinforced gussets, and the like? --Tom (toe mas)
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

lots of value in my opinion in getting your skirt lined with kevlar or whatever that reinforcing material is...especially where you're hip huggers will push up against your skirt from the inside...this is the biggest wear point on my C1 skirts
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I think there is as much value in making sure your "hip huggers" don't have any sharp or hard spots on them that will be wear points on your skirt - round them over, cover them with minicell or neoprene foam, etc. Even a kevlar reinforced skirt will appreciate that.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

SnapDragon
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I have snapdragon, Harmony, MountainSurf, SkirtWorks, BodyGlove, Perception, and several other brands of skirt that I've received while purchasing a boat.

After using them all, I have 3 skirt setups I use for ME vs. loaners as the rest are:

1) Small rim size Mountain Surf
2) Medium / Large rim size Mountain Surf
3) SkirtWorks Drydeck

Why? They are DRY and do not pop off.

The Drydeck was really pricey, but worth every cent for paddling comfort both on the "shoulder" seasons up here as well as Cquirting.

Interestingly enough the Drydeck (cut for the Mentor) fits ALL my boats regardless of rim size (some are tighter than others), as long as the combing is big enough (it is a "fat lip"). May look funny sometimes, but it is dry and comfortable, and I've never exactly been fashionable anyway.
Keep the C!
Adam
slick
C Boater

skirt models

Post by slick »

That sounds like a good suggestion to get reinforcement to mitigate wear around the hip grabbers.

To amplify my point about too many models boggling the mind, they are as follows:

(I've removed the duplicates posted initially)

MOUNTAIN SURF
Basic Bungee
Bombproof Dur-O-Ring
EZ-ON Dur-O-Ring
G-Skirt
Manhole with King Cord Lord lock*

SNAP DRAGON
River Trek All Supratex
White Water EXP Reinforced
White Water EXP Armortex Reinforced
Lip LockEXP Reinforced

SKIRT WORKS
SWI - Black Diamond Casing
SWII
Aramid Tough Rim with Quick-Grab Rip Cord
Aramid Tough Rim - preferred fit.
Basic Hybrid - Tight Fit with Quick-Grab Rip Cord
Basic Hybrid - preferred fit.
Aramid Tough Rim - Tight Fit
Basic Rand - Perferred Fit

*awesome, but what does this have to do with boating?
Last edited by slick on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

You know what they say about, Men in skirts...

Mission
C Boater

Re: skirt models

Post by Mission »

slick wrote:That sounds like a good suggestion to get reinforcement to mitigate wear around the hip grabbers.
Decks are reinforced on the outside to prevent wear from rocks/paddles etc, ive never seen one reinforced on the inside so your hip grabbers can still wear through as its only neoprene or neoprene/latex on the inside.

I've been using the snapdragon armortex for the last while. I think it's great! Having the material already in a cockpit shape rather than just a flat section of neoprene makes it very easy to get on and very dry.
C1 8.1
c

Snapdragon Armortex Reinforced with Implosion bar

Post by C1 8.1 »

I use the Snapdragon armortex reinforced with the implosion bar. It fits my Nomad 8.5, Jackson SuperFun and when I get lazy, my Gforse 6.3 kayak. I sit low in the C1's, around 4.5. Would think seat height would factor in a little bit with standard kayak skirts. Appomattox river supply gave me the best price.
Joe Berry
slick
C Boater

Post by slick »

Thanks. Very helpful.

Are your boats k-1 conversions with larger cockpits? I'm wondering if a small cockpit production C-1 such as an Atom is less susceptible to imploding. If so, is extra structure such as an implosion bar overkill.
C1 8.1
c

Post by C1 8.1 »

Nomad is a C1 with the standard Dagger cockpit size. Super Fun is usually the xlxl size keyhole. The skirt fits them both with no problem. Easy fit for the Nomad. Fairly easy fit for the SuperFun which is a C1 conversion. Easy fit for the G force which is a kayak kayak. No problems coming off either boat. Think the implosion bar is helpful in fitting other boats more snug. Think the higher you sit the more I would be interested in the implosion bar. Very pleased with this purchase. I ordered the Mt. Surf skirt specific skirt when I paddled a Atom and Cascade.

Made a gray doughnut hole out of minicel foam to form over the pull strap. Made it easier to find. Think I can find a link if you need to see this.
Joe Berry
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Mission wrote:
slick wrote:That sounds like a good suggestion to get reinforcement to mitigate wear around the hip grabbers.
Decks are reinforced on the outside to prevent wear from rocks/paddles etc, ive never seen one reinforced on the inside so your hip grabbers can still wear through as its only neoprene or neoprene/latex on the inside.
I've glued neoprene patches over wear areas, but I'm suggesting that you make sure your hip grabbers don't become wear points by taking measures.
slick
C Boater

Post by slick »

sbroam wrote:
I've glued neoprene patches over wear areas, but I'm suggesting that you make sure your hip grabbers don't become wear points by taking measures.
I think I catch your drift. Some cushion attached to the hard plastic hip supports (inside the skirt) will reduce wear from rocks, paddles, skulls, etc. knocking against the skirt at those points. --tw