paddle length

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

popetim
c

paddle length

Post by popetim »

Hi guys, Northeast paddlers sent me here because, "the guys at cboats talk about this subject all the time." So apologies if I'm bringing up a subject you guys have talked about all the time. But I'm setting out in my new Spanish Fly (love it by the way so far). I'm relatively a newb when it comes to OC whitewater in a playboat/creeker type like the fly. (Yeah, it's not really a playboat but it might as well be one for me right now!) It just "feels" to me like a shorter length paddle would work better for me. I'm 5ft 8in tall, (tall from the waist up- short legs ugh) and weigh about 190 if it counts). my old paddles are about 60 inches length and esp. when I cross over to paddle from the "other side" I feel like an absolute clutz. Would a shorter paddle be in order here or is it just a fantasy? Thanks, Tim
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Yeah, you could definitely go shorter. But maybe you should go down just a couple of inches at first.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

I also used to paddle a paddle that was way to long. I've cut it down, and now especially the cross mannoevres are way easier.

The reference I took: get in your boat, tuck in your blade and your grip should be about at eye hight.

Optimal for your body is grip at shoulder height. But you might need that little extra leverage at whitewater.
Taniwha
C Guru

Post by Taniwha »

Jakkes advice is good, I second that.

But the main key to not feeling a clutz while doing crossover strokes is torso rotation. Turn to the offside with your whole upper body, as far as you can go.
"A canoe trip?" he said. "There ain't nothing to go down there for."
"Because it's there," Lewis said.

(James Dickey, Deliverance)
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Since paddle length is a highly personal thing, I would go about it like this:
-1) Get a really cheap paddle that is too long, paddle with it for a bit.
-2) Cut the shaft by an inch or two, then paddle it again.
-3) repeat step #2) until the paddle feels too short. The last length before it was too short is most likely ideal for your paddling style.
If you get a good paddle, make sure that you get one with the same shaft and not necessarily paddle length as the one that you determined to be right, as this is what you are really after.

Just my .02 cents.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
AYockey
C Guru

Post by AYockey »

I used this advice when starting out. I went to a shop and they happened to have a broken plastic Carlisle type ducky kayak paddle. I got it for real cheap and just had to buy the T-Grip.
"The mark of a successful man is one that has sat at his favorite playspot all day without feeling guilty about it."
-Modified Chinese Proverb
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

the great gonzo wrote:Since paddle length is a highly personal thing, I would go about it like this:
-1) Get a really cheap paddle that is too long, paddle with it for a bit.
-2) Cut the shaft by an inch or two, then paddle it again.
-3) repeat step #2) until the paddle feels too short. The last length before it was too short is most likely ideal for your paddling style.
If you get a good paddle, make sure that you get one with the same shaft and not necessarily paddle length as the one that you determined to be right, as this is what you are really after.

Just my .02 cents.

TGG!
I've done that with a cheap raft paddle to figure out the proper length for the boat I'm using. Keep cutting until it seems right... throw it away when your done if need be.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Alternate method - show up at an Armada and try every paddle you see. There will be somebody there with every size and configuration imaginable - from the 6' long racer stick with a mongo spoon blade to the playboater with a short Jimi Stick to a crazy squirt boater with a Carlisle ;-) Figure out which one you like and make a note of the length. Much less cutting and gluing involved!