2014 Worlds at Deep Creek - congrats to all who competed!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

2014 Worlds at Deep Creek - congrats to all who competed!

Post by Sir Adam »

For those wondering... 2014 C1 Men's World Champion - Fabien Lefevre (US).

Full results:

https://www.deepcreek2014.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (click on Final Results... they are all there in .pdf).

We had a great time and saw a few familiar faces from Armada's... MikeW and Mark R. I know Jim G. and Natalie T. were around as well. Huge props to Jim for volunteering and helping make it all happen!

The most memorable runs as far as I'm concerned were:
1) Jessica Fox's (Aus, Womens C1 gold medalist. Very smooth, fluid run. She really nailed the course). And yes, her Dad is Richard!
2) Fabien's run (of course;) )

Unfortunately I missed Casey and Zachary runs as we were only up there mid morning to mid afternoon on Saturday:( Hopefully someone got a few good images they are willing to share.
Keep the C!
Adam
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Re: 2014 Worlds at Deep Creek - congrats to all who competed

Post by Mike W. »

Great event! I got to see Mr. Footage, himself (glad I wasn't his camera caddy), Natalie, Kenneth, Sir Adam and family. It looked like Sheila was working safety on the course. Pete & I think Ocoee (it's been a few years since I've seen him & he's still growing) were on the other side of the fence.

I'm not much of a spectator, but it's amazing to watch the best paddlers on the planet.

I saw all of the C-1 & C-1W races on Saturday. The team event shows you how good these guys are!

Of course, whenever I go North of Richmond, I have truck trouble. Dang 50 cent part caused me to miss Sunday's Races.

I took 1541 photos of the single blade events on Saturday. It'll take me a while to go through them, but I'll put up a link when I do. Here's one of the US C-1 team:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... comments=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

OH! Adam & Kenneth, y'all left before the interviews w/ Davey Hearn & John Sweet. They showed the Savage first descent video during John Sweet's interview.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Would have been much cheaper to stick around!

Savage River Canoe builds some very, very nice boats...

still not sure which we'll get (Susquehanna or Blackhawk).

Wish I could justify the Blackwater ... I took it for a paddle and was really blown away by out effortlessly it glides and paddles.
Keep the C!
Adam
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I haven't paddled one of their boats. I have seen a bunch of them at the races though. Very nice.
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

Great experience, even if I missed Adam and Mike got the bacon...

I worked security Thursday and Friday, keeping the riff raff out of the athlete and staff areas, and was on doping patrol Saturday and sunday. Very interesting job, that. Spent quite a bit of time with some neat guys, handing them water bottles and waiting until they were ready to pee. Talked about lots of stuff, but I stayed away from talking about their runs. Just tried to make it painless for them. Overall they were pros about it.

Just one minor incident with an athlete's mother, who should know better (that story is for a campfire and some good beer).
"As long as there are young men with the light of adventure in their eyes or a touch of wildness in their souls, rapids will be run." -Sigurd Olson
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

You talked to an athlete's mother!? I would have loved hanging around and listen to you explain yourself out of whatever you "innocently" said. I have communicated a lot with athletes' parents for many years and I have a feeling I know what the general context was about. :lol:

I got to talk to Jon Lugbill just a little while ago and asked him about going to the Worlds. He thoroughly enjoyed it and compared it to a family reunion with fellow boaters he's known for the past 40+ years. Unfortunately, none of them wanted to go paddle with him. My mindset would have been more like, "OH, HELI YEAH!" :D
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

Just been watching the BBC coverage - I don't know much about slalom but it looks like a tough course - gates 18-19 look evil!

Mallory Franklin did quite well to get the womens C1 silver, but Jess Fox appears to be in a different league to the rest of the ladies? Much closer in the womens K1, Jess Fox and Fiona Pennie seemed to be in a different league to the rest, the only 2 getting anywhere close the mens lines?

Fabien Lefevre's C1 run was excellent, seems like there may have been a slight advantage to paddling lefty in the lower part and he switched to take advantage?

Not a great event for the GB mens C1 though, surprised David Florence missed the final, although it seems like Tom Quinn exceeded his expectations.

Almost inspired me to fix my C1 and try to master it :) (it's in the pipeline) Don't think I'll be switching though, it's taken me long enough to learn to paddle righty OC1, lefty is too much for me!