whats the difference between..

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

MikeOC1
C Guru

whats the difference between..

Post by MikeOC1 »

the aftershock and the quake. They look the same but have different designers.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Quake is a great creek boat, really wet but very stable and easy to roll. The after shock is a rodeo boat but they didn't come out with it till after Rodeo was dead, so who knows?
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

Love the Quake, probably my favorite open boat hands down. Didn't really like the Aftershock at all, didn't hold a line that well [this could be paddler] and just didn't "feel" solid.
Louie

I paddled

Post by Louie »

my Quake four time in Dec after not being in it for over a year and on first trip half way down the Treemont I was comfortable in it. Still wetter than hades
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Louie wrote:Quake is a great creek boat, really wet but very stable and easy to roll. The after shock is a rodeo boat but they didn't come out with it till after Rodeo was dead, so who knows?
here we go again....(but)....here's a paddler article on Aftershock from 2000: (http://www.paddlermagazine.com/issues/2 ... e_72.shtml)

maybe someone will know, just seems there has been open boat rodeo since then???
Louie

you

Post by Louie »

need to go huff some more glass fumes, you are lossin your buzz
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

The aftershock is a good boat for what is was designed for; playboating and rodeo. At the time it was a good playboat. It's just a little too wet for river running and creeking.

It never really caught on because the savage superfly came out around the same time and was a slightly better playboat and a much better river runner and creek boat.

It was a viable boat for a while. It came out in '99 and rodeo didn't die out in the southeast until 2003 (2002 was the last ocoee rodeo).

The last open boat rodeo that I attended was the US Freestyle National Championship in 2007. I don't think there has been one since then. Nationals last year were in CO and there aren't many canoers there. Hopefully the next nationals will be on the East coast. There will be some good open boat rodeos in 2010 when they have the next Freestyle World Cup. It will be a 3 event series in North America and will likely take place on the Ottawa and Rock Island here in TN. The last world cup in North America was in 2006 and the competition at Rock Island was awesome.